Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Life Stages & Lifestyles

Message 11 of 35

@LogicsHere - I have never seen HOA fees anywhere near that range, in 55+ developments .. perhaps you can give specific locations. In NJ, I've seen them range from $150/month at the lower end, to perhaps $1,000/month for the most expensive places. Were you including other monthly fees in that $4K - $5K range .. like mortgage, property tax & utilities? Or are you referring to "country club/resort communities", where that fee includes membership in a full-service country club?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 35
It is an interesting idea, provided they don't fall to the same side as the "retirement communities" where you are either required to buy in at $300K or more and/or pay $4000-$5000 a month for the privilege of enjoying the company of others. My (single most of my life with former career as an administrative assistant) current living costs in Metro NYC area and I'm just counting maintenance (includes taxes, mortgage and upkeep of my co-op) and utilities is $800 a month. Housing costs at this level are almost impossible to find in this country and in most cases only achievable if one is on public assistance. These so-called "retirement communities" think that $4000 to $5000 a month is a normal expenditure for most people. Their comparison charts including house value, taxes, landscaping, etc. But the truth is, it is not . . . not everyone could afford a house during their lifetime that exploded into hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity over the years or earned significant dollars to allow them to have a million dollar retirement account. And many of us are hard pressed to even be able to afford increased medical expenses or in-home care should the time come. The problem is that there are no "low income"/affordable options for seniors who desire this type of environment. And not all of us have children we can go live with either. The only options that exist now are the high-end retirement communities ($4000 - 5000 a month); assisted living ($4000 - 15,000 a month) and the dreaded nursing home. So you either stay in your home until you pass or end up in a nursing home.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 35
Yes I don't HAVE to walk out side but I am convinced that it is healthier and more pleasant. Unless you think 60 degrees is too hot I don't think there is a place on earth that is too hot 10 months out of the year. Suit yourself and I will do the same.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 35

I live in DC.  The summers are always hotter here than in the Keys.  The difference is the nights are cooler but the days...   about a decade or 2 ago we had over a 60 day period where the daily high was at least 95 and we can get near 0 some winters like this winter.  If you look, the highs for the winter are almost what the lows are in the summer.  That is why we will probably retire there.  There are almost no bugs because they are fairly dry and little undeveloped land.  I want to be bord from all the good weather.

Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 35

Regarding your statement that Florida is 'too hot' 10 months out of the year...I would respectfully disagree.  I am a Floridian who has lived in many parts of the 'colder' climates and I do not find that statement valid.  I think it is an individual choice and preference, not to mention that the median Year-round temps in the Keys doesn't get above 80's...just saying.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 35

@jl8183780 wrote:

I am part  of a forming senior cohousing group. Whereas I'm fine with living in my own home now, I know that seniors face isolation and loneliness as they grow older. My children live far away and may move elsewhere during the next several years, so I don't want to try to follow them. In the Placitas Sage cohousing group that we're planning, I'll have my own unit. But there will be a common house where our group will share meals and activities. We come to decisions by consensus. Ours is not a retirement facility with swimming pool and happy hour bistro. Those things are not on our list of priorities. Instead, we will focus on art, gardening, watching movies together and enjoying the New Mexico sky. Cohousing is a model that is gaining more attention for both intergenerational and senior living. I am looking forward to our project becoming a reality.

Interesting post.   This is definitely not a new idea..  it started back in the 60's.  Many of the originals broke up with the passing or leaving of original members.  The legal aspects are interesting as well. In any case, this is very similar to the senior communities except for the meal sharing etc.  Regardless of the differences, the main focus is the companionship and social interaction.. or so it seems to me.   Glad to see a new perspective.  I hope you will continue to post on the subject.  Thanks

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 35

You don't have to get outside to walk.  There are dvd's to simulate walking outdoors and some people have treadmills.  I prefer the dvd's even during the summer when it gets too hot to go outside and the Florida Keys and Florida in general is way too hot for 10 months of the year at least.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 35

I had my house built after I retired - all one floor, walk in shower,  garage attached to house.  Also have long term health insurance, and in case of a death type illness, I plan to use hospice.  Thus, I will be staying in my house and plan to die in my house.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 35

The more time you spend learning location(s) you may want to retire the better your choice.  We have no reason to stay in our house.  It is larger and much colder than I would like.  It is in a very expensive area.  We could get a very nice place for what we could get for our old house.  I plan to retire in 3 years and my wife in 4 or 5 years.  We are vacationing in the Florida Keys this spring to see how we like it.  My parents retired there but things have changed. 

Because you can get out and excersise, if only just to walk, all year round keeps you much healthier. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 35

This is kind of like asking me if I'm going to hit the lottery.  Who knows?  There are so many variables that come into play.  Currently I'm 70 and live in a 2nd floor co-op apartment. I've lived here over 40 years and it has served me well.  I am expecting that I won't have trouble with the stairs down the road but if I should, I will go up and down them sitting on them like I did when I was a kid if I have to.  No where could I afford to live anywhere else where I do as inexpensively.  Then I have to take into consideration any possibility of other illnesses/conditions.  Like my mother if I can no longer take care of myself then I will quite possibly need to move into assisted living or other LTC facility. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users