Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Life Milestones

Message 31 of 33

I thought about this topic, because a friend took me out for my birthday the other day, and when I thanked her, she said it was a "milestone birthday" (65 .. this coming week). I can't avoid knowing that it's a milestone, because I had to file for Medicare & switch over my other medical coverage earlier this month!

My Mom & one aunt both died of similar cancers, only months before my 50th birthday, another elderly aunt moved in with me, and I broke my foot .. so that surely didn't seem like a time I'd want to celebrate a milestone birthday! I did decide to stop working, and jokingly told people that was my 50th birthday present to myself!

I did have a 60th birthday party for friends & family, which was a few years after I moved, and was starting something of a new life. I guess the next milestone would be 75 ..

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Life Milestones

Message 32 of 33

When I turned 50,I briefly thought to myself"OMG,I'm getting old"then laughed it off. I remember 2 weeks later,I started getting AARP info in the mail,decided to wait until I retired to join.

I'll always treasure the last time my mom came home for her annual visit to see me{My parents lived in a retirement community in Hanover,NH,dad died in '96,mom '03}To honor my 50th,we decided to have a cocktail party in June instead of NOV,at local ladies club{she was still a member}. My brother,John,sister,Mary came for the weekend.I invited some 'church friends' so mom&siblings could meet them.Mom invited some long time friends she hadn't seen in awhile.It was a great time.

When I hit 60,it was no big deal,felt like any other birthday.My siblings sent me very funny birthday cards. Sue

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Life Milestones

Message 33 of 33

Do you think that singles - especially those who've never married or had children - focus more on age & other life milestones, than those who can focus on anniversaries, children's & grandchildren's birthdays, etc?

So for singles the biggest milestones might be "hitting 50", "turning 65", "retiring", "downsizing/moving to 55+ community".

For those who've experienced those milestones .. did they really matter to you? Did they matter more to friends & family? If the latter, were the milestones viewed as "accomplishments" .. or more as an "over-the-hill" tease?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors