Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Life Milestones

Message 11 of 33

There are certain milestones in your life that should be noted!  When I became a teenager, when I turned 16 (learned to drive) 21 when I was old enough to drink alcohol and voted for the first time.  Then other milestones were 30, 40, 50, 62 (i retired officially) 65 (Medicare!).  Now I am 70, thinking will I reach 80, 90 or even 100?  These mean something to me and I am sure mean something more to others, but their importance is only that they are numbers and indicate the length of your life.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 33

@DeanaGold - You're the 2nd adult I know, who's started piano lessons in their retirement! Good for you!!

I took lessons for 4 years as a child, and didn't enjoy the made-for-students pieces I had to play, and for homework. They've come a long way now, using simplified versions of popular songs, which keep students more motivated!

I have a very good ear, but that allowed me to be lazy, when it came to sight-reading, so I can no longer read sheet music. I think about taking lessons again now, but I don't know if I'd enjoy the lessons any more than before, or how much I'd get from them.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 33

I think that single women have more time to devote to their careers and hobbies, and often enjoy personal milestones that married women aren't able to achieve. Both are good- having a family is wonderful, and not having a family can be wonderful too. Recently in retirement I have been refocusing on learning to play the piano- for my brain, and also because I love music so much. It's so amazing to learn to play an instrument! I celebrate a milstone every time I move on to another Upper Hands Piano book (they are for adults over 50- highly recommended!) Also I get to travel wherever and whenever I want. With friends, or alone. Every trip is a milestone, and every new thing I learn and new person I meet is a gift. 

Deana Gold
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 33

Age is not that important to me - if you are blessed with reasonably good health I think the future is bright. I work at challenging myself, changing things up, experiencing new things and making an adventure. Of course my three boys and their families are most important to me, but they are living their lives - and they should be! I have a wonderful circle of friends and we eat, drink and are merry all year long!! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 33

Even many of the holidays are not really big events for me.  The younger family members do a lot of outdoor events and those are not always things I enjoy so I tend to skip them.    

I have learned to celebrate things and in ways that I want to.

Christmas is always a family day but I am most excited about my annual trip with my sister to New York a few weeks earlier.  That marks Christmas for me.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 33

@Calhounwoman wrote:

Hello, everyone!  I'm back online.  I've been trying to sign back on since my post was edited for lewdness.  It's my first time ever for being edited; so it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.  I was not allowed to sign back on immediately.  Weird!!! Anywhooooo...I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

Welcome back.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 33

Hello, everyone!  I'm back online.  I've been trying to sign back on since my post was edited for lewdness.  It's my first time ever for being edited; so it took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on.  I was not allowed to sign back on immediately.  Weird!!! Anywhooooo...I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

Fey Lady
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 33

@ASTRAEA, I am a Single Independent (never married, never conceived), AND, I shamelessly admit that I've never known a milestone that wasn't worth celebrating.  LOL!

I gleefully celebrate every birthday,  including anybody who knows me and is foolish enough to tell me when their birthday is...I don't assume that they have the same giddiness about giving/sending or receiving birthday missives; I ask, and I respect their preference.  I usually travel for my birthday--I always try to experience something new/different and out of my comfort zone. I didn't travel this year for my 60th birthday.  I did have plans...but I was "informed" by my family members to keep my "traveling **bleep** home".  Ummmm.  I did what I was told.  Family, friends, former colleagues, hosted a fabulous travel-themed birthday bash for me at one of my favorite restaurants.  It was an overwhelming JOY to experience.  The amount of EFFORT that was expended and their precious TIME.  I am very grateful that they thought I was worth everything they did for me.

Also, when someone is generous enough to share an experience they are obviously excited about, well...I get happy for them and I want them to know it, unless they let me know otherwise.

I think the most rewarding milestone that I've experienced is not second guessing or regretting the life choices I made as a consciously responsible adult. There is no one else to blame for my happiness; it's no one else's fault that I am where I am today in my life. It's very humbling and liberating.

Fey Lady
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 33

@catwoman500 - I know just what you mean about birthdays/milestones! When my Mom & Aunts were alive, we'd always send cards, give presents, and sometimes take each other out for lunch .. and it felt special shopping for them. Now there's no one to give me gifts, and my guess is that if a friend did, it wouldn't have the same thought put into it, as my relatives did.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 33

I used to love celebrating everyone's birthdays, including my own, but now I only enjoy other's peoples'.

When my husband and mother were living, I'd look forward to a special something on "my day." Now I'd rather just forget it.

Milestones are so not important to me. I just thank God I'm alive when I wake up in the morning. Cat LOL N.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors