Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Housing Lifestyles as we Age Gracefully

Message 21 of 50

We have often talked about where we might like to relocate to..  would the information here affect your choice?

Continue reading the main story
Garfield, Colorado
Overall Rank: 194 of 3,135
Median Income: $60,215
College Education: 25.2%
Unemployment: 8%
Disability: 0.3%
Life Expectancy: 80.3 years
Obesity: 26%

A composite ranking of where Americans are healthy and wealthy, or struggling.

County Ranking
DOING BETTER
DOING WORSE

Annie Lowrey writes in the Times Magazine this week about the troubles of Clay County, Ky., which by several measures is the hardest place in America to live.

The Upshot came to this conclusion by looking at six data points for each county in the United States: education (percentage of residents with at least a bachelor’s degree), median household income, unemployment rate, disability rate, life expectancy and obesity. We then averaged each county’s relative rank in these categories to create an overall ranking.

(We tried to include other factors, including income mobility and measures of environmental quality, but we were not able to find data sets covering all counties in the United States.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/26/upshot/where-are-the-hardest-places-to-live-in-the-us.html?action=...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 50

@isolde wrote:

As for the new location --not there yet.  Already fired one RE agent.  The new one appears to be more aggressive at marketing.  She hired a professional photographer who will be here Tuesday to take pics of the house.  Nearly everything is boxed up, but left the furnishings and pictures on the walls for staging.  She didn't recommend changing anything except re-caulking the tub.  According to her "I have good taste."  

It's always exciting to visit potential retirement locations and visit with some of the people who live there.  That's a smart way to make an informed decision re your future.

well no doubt the right buyer will show up soon and then you will be off : )   must be hard to leave such a beautiful city but we all know when it is time for a change!

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 50

As for the new location --not there yet.  Already fired one RE agent.  The new one appears to be more aggressive at marketing.  She hired a professional photographer who will be here Tuesday to take pics of the house.  Nearly everything is boxed up, but left the furnishings and pictures on the walls for staging.  She didn't recommend changing anything except re-caulking the tub.  According to her "I have good taste."  

It's always exciting to visit potential retirement locations and visit with some of the people who live there.  That's a smart way to make an informed decision re your future.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 50

I've never been to Hilton Head, but I stayed once on Fripp Island.  It was a beautiful place to visit but at the time not a place I would want to live.  I know Hilton Head has a large artist community, lots of galleries, etc.   I am more familiar with Charleston and Savannah.  Even though both of those locations have a lot of tourists they are more like "real" cities where I could picture living.

My stepson lives in Nashville, and he likes it a lot.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 50

Ok  you have to check this out...

A million dollar 400 sq foot Manhatten apartment.. I could handle the apartment size but not the price LOL

http://money.cnn.com/video/pf/2014/05/01/uh-collapsible-folding-nyc-apartment.cnnmoney/index.html?ii...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 50

@isolde wrote:

Diane,

Hilton Head brings back a few memories.  While at a convention with my husband, had the chance to see a little of the community.  If you play tennis and golf, you'd fit right in.  It's an upscale housing conclave for the retired wealthy.  It's an island, very beautiful,  in a mild climate between Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC.

The folks who were part of the convention were in meetings all day, but were ready to party at night.  I recall all of us sitting at the bar, and when the clock struck 12, the police came in, shut the bar down, and told us to leave.  It was a dry county--not sure if it still is??  

You are right, it is beautiful.  I have stayed on the island in a time share.  It was really fun.. loved Savannah and the old town area.  This community is outside of the island, not sure how far.. but I am looking forward to checking it out.

How are you enjoying your new location?

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 50

Diane,

Hilton Head brings back a few memories.  While at a convention with my husband, had the chance to see a little of the community.  If you play tennis and golf, you'd fit right in.  It's an upscale housing conclave for the retired wealthy.  It's an island, very beautiful,  in a mild climate between Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC.

The folks who were part of the convention were in meetings all day, but were ready to party at night.  I recall all of us sitting at the bar, and when the clock struck 12, the police came in, shut the bar down, and told us to leave.  It was a dry county--not sure if it still is??  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 50

Plans for this year include communities near  Hilton Head,  Raleigh Durham and Nashville..

Same as always, look at the facilities and social activities, surrounding areas etc.    These are the closest to my home location and family  and are in driving distance.  No advance thoughts..  anyone have any experience in these areas ?  comments?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 50

I have same feelings as others have expressed --- interesting topic. I enjoy reading the reactions of others.

DW and I have discussed this a number of times. As others have stated, lots of variables and we all want different things and have different lifestyle expectations. So, no answers for you as your situation is totally different from ours.

We (quickly) considered a Del Webb (Sun City) complex out here in Chicago area (one of their few developments in the snow belt). It's nice, but houses are expensive and have been difficult to sell according to local news stories.  

We're staying put. Have been in same place for 34 years.  Most of our respective families live in Chicago area, so as much as I'd like to live out west, it's not going to happen.

Good luck in your search --- lots to consider.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 50

@ASTRAEA wrote:
@isolde wrote:

.. How did the idea of an HOA ever get started anyway when the homeowner is paying the mortgage?   

The truth is that even in a single family home, there are zoning & building codes, so you can’t totally escape regulation .. and sometimes that’s a good thing, not only for you but the neighbors around you.

How did HOA’s get started? Your mortgage only covers the cost of your own dwelling; if you live in a development, they’ve got to maintain, repair & periodically upgrade/modernize the common areas .. which can include roadways & driveways, clubhouse, pool, tennis courts, pathways, benches, etc. There’s also insurance costs. If the internal roadways of large developments aren’t considered “public”, the garbage collection and snow removal services the town provides to other homeowners, may not be provided, so they’re additional expenses to the Home Owners’ Association.

You are correct and just as zoning and building codes do, HOAs work to maintain the value of your investment... not all good but definately all bad.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark