Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Housing Lifestyles

Message 11 of 50

HI what did you want to know about upstate New York  I have lived here my entire life. It is beautiful and has 3 seasons not really 4 lol... What parts of upstate if you like the artsy and mountains you wouldl love the Catskills the area is what I would call safe, meaning from any major storms because of the valley and never have any major catastrophies. Ask me more specifics about the area. What are you hobbies and interests?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Housing Lifestyles as we Age Gracefully

Message 12 of 50

I am so sorry, Originally I was scheduled to move into a newer, very fancy Senior apartment,There was a long waiting list. I would not have qualified anyway I was told because like you my income

was too high. The senior complex I live in is just market rent. I have a one bedroom, however there are two and three bedrooms as well. Truthfully I do not qualify for anything. I do not feel my income is high because in 2008 when the market took a dive I lost everything except $3000 dollars and I was already 63 at the time . I am told that my social security benefits are too high to qualify for any type of assistance. I worked as a nurse from age 21 to 66.I live on my ss.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 50

@Lindy11 wrote:

I thought I had my plans made for my next move to a senior community. I have been on the waiting list for close to 2 years.  They have called me several times about opening, but I wasn't ready to sell my house yet. I still had some updates to complete, before putting my home on the market. 

The last call from the Community changed everything.  Never had I been told in the almost 2 years, that there was a cap on income to move into this community.  If you live on social security alone, you have no problem, but I also lived by taking money out of my retirement account.  If I could only live on SS plus around 5K a year, from other sources, I would qualify,  but I couldn't and didn't..  Wish I could live on SS + 5K a year.

The lady told me she was taking my name off the list, since I lived on too much money and did not qualify.  Talk about disappointment.  I was shocked, and upset and left without a plan of where to go next.

What am I going to do now?   Do not know!!!

Wow  I am so sorry...   I hope you can find another senior community.. there are more of them than ever and the private ones have no income restrictions.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 50

@isolde wrote:

Consensus of opinion with agents I've talked to is that doing upgrades can be expensive, and buyers will change things to suit their taste anyway.  My realtor explained that if an inspection finds problems, (as long as they're not structural)  you can elect not to fix them, but at some point you may need to address the problems down the road if buyers walk away.  Every market is different and what sells is not necessarily what you see on HGTV.   One friend is purging his house of nearly all furniture, and says he doesn't have the time or money for staging, actually making his house look larger than it is.   

When I sold my house in north Jersey, I asked my realtor about replacing the good wall-to-wall carpet with hardwood flooring, because trends had changed. She advised against it, for the reason you mention .. that you can't be sure that what you put in, will be any buyer's exact taste. She did a walk-thru with me, and just suggested a bunch of flowering plants for the front steps/porch, and brighter towels in the bathrooms, both for a pop of color.

When my buyers had their inspection done, my attorney went thru the list, suggesting what I should do (i.e. replace an electrical panel by a manufacturer identified as having problems), and what were typical issues with a house that age (minor settling cracks).

Nothing is like HGTV, because from what I hear, it's actually all staged. So much depends on the market. Despite what TV & realtors say about making things more neutral, the market where I bought was hot, and the previous owner of my current house, had full-wall bright murals in both of the kids' bedrooms .. UGH!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 50

Consensus of opinion with agents I've talked to is that doing upgrades can be expensive, and buyers will change things to suit their taste anyway.  My realtor explained that if an inspection finds problems, (as long as they're not structural)  you can elect not to fix them, but at some point you may need to address the problems down the road if buyers walk away.  Every market is different and what sells is not necessarily what you see on HGTV.   One friend is purging his house of nearly all furniture, and says he doesn't have the time or money for staging, actually making his house look larger than it is. 

If getting the house sold is the obstacle to finding the right property to move to, interview realtors until you find one you like who has a good track record.  My friend above had a rental house that needed new wiring, but he wasn't going to spend the money. The realtor advised him to replace the electrical, and wouldn't list it in that condition.  He got another realtor who listed it "as is" and sold the house a little below market value. The buyer gutted it.  So you may have to bite the bullet in getting less than you want, but at least you're moving on with your life.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 50

I thought I had my plans made for my next move to a senior community. I have been on the waiting list for close to 2 years.  They have called me several times about opening, but I wasn't ready to sell my house yet. I still had some updates to complete, before putting my home on the market. 

The last call from the Community changed everything.  Never had I been told in the almost 2 years, that there was a cap on income to move into this community.  If you live on social security alone, you have no problem, but I also lived by taking money out of my retirement account.  If I could only live on SS plus around 5K a year, from other sources, I would qualify,  but I couldn't and didn't..  Wish I could live on SS + 5K a year.

The lady told me she was taking my name off the list, since I lived on too much money and did not qualify.  Talk about disappointment.  I was shocked, and upset and left without a plan of where to go next.

What am I going to do now?   Do not know!!!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 50

I have been here for a year. I have neighbors who have been here anywhere from 8 to 10 years or more. I plan to be here a while.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 50

@cindy3t wrote:

I never thought that I would live in a Senior Complex. I now live in one and love it. It is not as large as my last resident when I was working. I got rid of stuff that I did not remember having. I now live in a large one bedroom apartment , living room with a dinning area and a seperate inclosed kitchen

and a balcony  that I have table, four chairs and plants. I purchase a great Futon with an upgraded

Mattresss for those times when I have company.There is an indoor pool that is heated durning the winter months(we have snow) a Gym, A well stocked Library. A private sitting room with Tv, a large

Community set up like a dinning area that you can reserve free of charge or you can use anytime you want. We have a standing meet your neighbor coffee Wednesdays of each month and celebrate

Birthdays once a month.We had a great Holiday party in December. The men brought a lot of "Booze"(smile) . We celebrate all the Holidays . It is not perfect , We have uncovered parking

and cluster mailboxes that is just one of those adjustment. There are 13 Senior Centers

in Albuquerque there is a one time fee of $13.00 per year. with any type of classes you can think of.

When I retired I found out that I did not need all those things to be happy. Now I have beauty for Ashes.

Sounds great!  Glad you are happy.  How long have you been there?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 50

I never thought that I would live in a Senior Complex. I now live in one and love it. It is not as large as my last resident when I was working. I got rid of stuff that I did not remember having. I now live in a large one bedroom apartment , living room with a dinning area and a seperate inclosed kitchen

and a balcony  that I have table, four chairs and plants. I purchase a great Futon with an upgraded

Mattresss for those times when I have company.There is an indoor pool that is heated durning the winter months(we have snow) a Gym, A well stocked Library. A private sitting room with Tv, a large

Community set up like a dinning area that you can reserve free of charge or you can use anytime you want. We have a standing meet your neighbor coffee Wednesdays of each month and celebrate

Birthdays once a month.We had a great Holiday party in December. The men brought a lot of "Booze"(smile) . We celebrate all the Holidays . It is not perfect , We have uncovered parking

and cluster mailboxes that is just one of those adjustment. There are 13 Senior Centers

in Albuquerque there is a one time fee of $13.00 per year. with any type of classes you can think of.

When I retired I found out that I did not need all those things to be happy. Now I have beauty for Ashes.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 50

Didn't look at this in depth, but the first thing I checked was that my county in NJ was color-coded as doing the best, which is pretty amazing since property taxes are astronomical! Even a small ranch house would probably pay > $7K in annual property taxes!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark