Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Housing Lifestyles

Message 1 of 50

I'm looking at moving to Jacksonville, Florida. Anyone know of places to live on a budget but in nice well kept communities? I've not been to Jacksonville before so all I know about it is what I've read on the internet. It looks and reads like a nice place to live. Thanks for any input anyone can offer. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Housing Lifestyles as we Age Gracefully

Message 2 of 50

@KATHY730 - Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier! If there's no urgency, I'd strongly suggest you take your time "doing your homework" researching areas & communities, and then actually looking at properties. I hate that the TV "House Hunting" shows make it seem like people only see 3 very different properties, and HAVE to decide between them!

Do you have a close friend or relative you trust to go with you, who's frank & can keep you grounded, and has had some house buying/selling experience?

My very basic recommendations:

- "Buy the neighborhood"; a nice house in a not-so-nice area, won't be a good long-term deal.

- If you're moving out of your current area, see if you can rent in your target area for a year, before buying. You'll become more familiar with the area, and also make friends you can ask about neighborhoods/developments .. that only residents would know about.

- Look at enough properties to be totally familiar with the market, and don't get pressured by any realtor into making a hasty decision.

- If you're looking in a condo/joint-ownership community, try to get a copy of their homeowner association documents (just to browse), and see if there are any "showstoppers" with which you can't live.

Good luck!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 50

Thanks 4 the input. I'm 59, and wanting to move closer to my daughter, but haven't bought a home before, so any thoughts would be welcome. I'm thinking about Clermont or Winter Garden, Florida.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 50

I thought this article mentioned in an AARP e-mail newsletter, was interesting & tied into this topic, about housing as we age:

http://www.aarp.org/livable-communities/housing/info-2016/missing-middle-housing-daniel-parolek.html...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 50

We had a regular poster in the group a few years back, who'd moved from the east coast, to a 55+ community in Nevada .. which she'd checked out beforehand. She wasn't happy, because she didn't feel she "fit in", and I think was in a small minority of singles, most of whom were women.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 50

@retiredtraveler wrote:

The thing you have to be careful of is how saleable a house will be in one of these communities. A recent article talked about how it's dicey, in most housing markets, for a senior to purchase a home, even in a 55+ community. DW and I, although interested in some of the 55+ communities in the next 5 years, would not purchase a house at 70 years of age. We'll find a nice senior, upscale, apartment complex and rent. 

The problem with purchasing a house is obvious --- even in 55+ communities, the housing market can sink. And, there is a question if you want to tie up your capital in a house as you get older.

Just a thought --- everyone has different ideas about retirement, different financial circumstances, different needs and wants.

Just don't disregard all financial aspects.

There is a big difference in communities and there are many where resales are really steady. Renting is also an alternative.  The amenities are hard to beat!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 50

The thing you have to be careful of is how saleable a house will be in one of these communities. A recent article talked about how it's dicey, in most housing markets, for a senior to purchase a home, even in a 55+ community. DW and I, although interested in some of the 55+ communities in the next 5 years, would not purchase a house at 70 years of age. We'll find a nice senior, upscale, apartment complex and rent. 

The problem with purchasing a house is obvious --- even in 55+ communities, the housing market can sink. And, there is a question if you want to tie up your capital in a house as you get older.

Just a thought --- everyone has different ideas about retirement, different financial circumstances, different needs and wants.

Just don't disregard all financial aspects.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 50

Check out this website, which has thousands of 55+ developments listed: https://www.55places.com/

I like that there are all sorts of selection criteria, and you can even look at the different categories of housing they have, and floor plans. It allows you to select price ranges too!

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 50

There is no in between when it comes to senior communities, is there?  They are either too pricey (Del Webb for the golfing/tennis set, or ordinary ones for those living on SS.  Where is the moderate priced, affordable communities with plenty of activities? You may have to get out of your comfort zone by moving to another state.  The Texas Hill Country here is beautiful. I've read they even have apples harvested in late July.  Just 5 miles away is 6 barns full of rustic stuff.    

I've seen where seniors get around on golf carts, and jazz them up to look like racing cars at one community in FL.  FL would not be my destination of choice if I were still looking.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 50

Aging gracefully??   This is a quote from Women After 50:  "I think when you hit menopause, the government should issue a gift basket containing chocolates, wine/Vodka or cocktails of your choice, pajamas, free replacement glasses for life (for those you lose or break), a pet (if desired), free Netflix for life, free coffee, a landline (to find your cell phone), a volunteer teen to help you with your computer and the dream hunk of your choice--i.e. Sam Elliott." 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark