Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Frustration

Message 1 of 7

Thank you so much for all your advice.  I will look into these websites as soon as I get the chance. I have been extremely busy with the grandchildren as my daughter is getting ready to go back to work. She is a teacher and I am proud of her. Me and the girls are hanging in there and doing our best. I do have a sign by my road asking for roofing supplies. I pray each day.  Your sites are great help.  Thanks!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Thanks retiredtraveler.  I know what you are talking about and yes believe me I know all of those resources too.  I am aware of all the counseling sources but I one that has been a counselor for many people who needed help in those situations.  I am one that has always been able to help others but cannot find anything or anyway to help me.  I have gone over my credit reports and my budget.  I do not have that many items on my credit report and have been working on them already.  It has been a process and I just do not find the benefit of having to pay another person to do what I already know how to do.  Thanks for thinking of that for you are right I didn't mention the fact that I know all about these things.  The girls and I have gotten rid of bills that were not necessary.  We only have those that we truly need.  Going into bankruptcy wouldn't change the fact that we just do not have the finances to get the help we need for the new roof.  Believe me I am very well educated on all aspects to the financial part. I never thought that I would be here like this.  I have always been a very hard worker and continue to do so around the neighborhood.  Our issue is paying for the back property taxes, sewer taxes and then the house payment.  These three bills per month take most of my income.  When my husband left us with the past due property taxes and sewer taxes he knew it would be hard on us.  The added roof expense is what I do not have now.  It is just so hard to really explain everything.  Know that I am not just a plain person.  I graduated, got a job, joined the Army for 12 years, went to college, got an Associate Medical Office Assistant Degree, worked as a Medical Secretary/Office Manager for 12 years, did some fire fighting for awhile until I broke my back two times. Was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, two fractures in my back and in the short story am now disabled.  So this lead me here all because I had a break down and just overwhelmed.  My friends have helped me as much as they could to stop the foreclosure on the house when my husband first walked out on us.  He did this the week of Thanksgiving, drained our account knowing that in February the money had to be paid to the town because they were going to foreclose if the money wasn't paid.  He didn't care and left without telling us to go back to his ex-wife.  

So thanks for trying to help.  Yes I have done that.  Thought about that at least but in my situation those options are not  a benefit.  Thus why I am frustrated.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

"... I been there, done that, searched that, paid for it, had it and all other items that I could do.  There just isn't anything for us....".

I'm not sure that's true.  You have a host of financial issues, but have not mentioned seeking any kind of financial help or counseling. You are seeking funding from charitable resources, but have not discussed someone from an agency going over your entire financial situation. 

You can look at bankruptcy. You can look at debt consolidation, credit counseling, Section 8 housing. This link gives you the names of financial resources for your state. You may be over the income limit for some types of assistance, but getting counseling for handling debt and setting up a budget can always be done. Your state has resources, as do most states, for debt consolidation or debt settlement where you pay only a fraction of what you owe.

Section 8 housing Maine - Need Help Paying Bills

Filing bankruptcy in Maine - what is the process - Maine Bankruptcy Law

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

I'm really sorry.   Smiley Sad  You have been through a lot. 

You may have checked these already, but I'm just putting them out there in case you haven't. 

Ways to get free/cheap laptops:

http://moneypantry.com/free-laptops-low-income-families/

I'd also check with the school to see if they have laptops available to check out, or assign to your kids. 

I'd check directly with the sewer utility to see if they have payment or subsidy programs.  Same with internet.   In different parts of the country, cable providers do provide free or reduced internet to qualifying families.  

Hang in there.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge of Maine will add to the thread.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Good Morning Nerdymom,

Thank you so much for reading my post. I didn't think anyone would read it because I was in that mood to just let it out. The sad thing is I didn't give all the details and if I had you would know more about what is going on. Maybe I should put this in the section of "Get to know me"  Yes I live in the State of Maine and have since I started school.  I grew up as a Navy brat. My father was in the Navy for 20 years. I have two sisters and I had a brother who commited suicide almost 26 years ago. I joined the United States Army back in 1993 and served for 12 years in the United States Army Reserves in Augusta.  I decided it was time to be discharged when I married my first husband since we had two daughters and it was hard for him when I had to leave for duty.

I got a job working at Hathaway shirt company where I worked until they shut down and I then returned to college to get my Associates Degree in Assistant Medical Office Technology. I got a job quickly working at Redington Medical Associates who was attached to Redington Fairview General Hospital in Skowhegan for 12 years. I also had joined the Winslow Fire Department as an "On Call Firefighter" It was this job that caused me to end my working after I broke my back for the second time. I did not heal from this injury and was diagnosed with firbromyalgia, L4 & L5 fractures, osteopenia, arthritis and other issues.

I have been married three times and divorced each one.  I have had two children on my own and currently am raising the twins that I adopted at nine months (they are actually my great neices).  During these marriages I have raised a total of nine plus children. I now have three grandchildren two of which we call my miricle grandchildren.  They are from my second born daughter who lost two from tubal pregancies both from the same side. The first was an emergency operation and they removed her tube but let a stump which her second pregancy decided to attach to. This lead to her second emergency surgery during her sisters wedding. Both of these she almost died but God was on her side and gave her two beautiful children. A daughter and a son (he has PKU disorder that is a challenge).  

My dream was to have a house for my children to call home.  I got this back in 2009 and have been doing my own changes to it with free supplies that I have found along side the road.  This last marriage brought the worst ever.  

He spent money every day over the road and I let him. This caused me to push bills aside and thus having past due bills.  Our sewer bill got over $2,000 and property taxes even two years behind. We did loose our vehicles and every thing just went wrong.  When he left us he knew that the roof needed to be replaced, the sewer was in foreclosure for February of 2017, the property taxes were in foreclosure for February of 2017. I tried to go online for the "Go Fund Me" program but that didn't work at all. His ex-wife (he went back to her) wrote nasty stuff on the page. I cried and tried and it was my neighbors that helped me pay the taxes and stuff. Since the house is owner finance, the owner told me that I have to pay the $845.00 house payment on the 15th of each month, and $200.00 for the sewer until it is caught up, $500.00 toward the taxes until they are caught up. This is what is taking my money.  I won't go into the other bills but I have just house insurance, internet, and other small bills.  My grocery bill is around $200.00 a week because the girls are big 14 year old girls that tower over me. They are almost six feet tall and eat like they have endless stomachs.

I have six cats that I have taken in because they were left homeless outside. That is what we do. I help others. I have been the one in this neigborhood who has brought it together. I call myself the center. On one side I have an elderly lady who can't do much so I do her things for free. That is what this world needs to do.  I made my other neighbor a flower garden while she was at work because she didn't have anything in her front yard. This is what I do. 

But for me.  For my girls. There isn't anything. I tried Nerdymom.  I have been to the food bank and I appreciate what they do but I feel it isn't run the way it should be. Not here anyway. The people jump from bank to bank and the food doesn't provide anything that we truly need.  No meat, no milk the important things.  I went to the Salvation Army where this, not to be rude, but heavy set lady sat there and I asked her for help. I even brought my bank statement to show where my money went and she asked why there was a transaction for McDonalds.   I couldn't believe it. One little transaction for McDonalds. I looked at her and said "my girls deserve one thing outside the house"!  I have been everywhere for help and have been denied every time. "You are over income"  Yes I now get childsupport but that goes fast.  That provides the groceries. So thank you so much Nerdymom.  This is my story.  I have nowhere to go. I even put items at the end of my driveway "Free for the taking"  with another sign  "Donations accepted for new roof".  I have had a sign "Wanted...Your unused roofing supplies"  I got a lot of people that stopped for the items with no donations and no response to my wanting supplies.  

My girls suffer each summer. We were suppose to go to South Carolina to see my parents this summer for their 60th wedding anniversary but that didn't happen because my car broke down. It isn't working right. We so need a new one and that is another task in itself. I cry for them each night because they don't get to go to the movies, vaction somewhere else. They need a laptop for school and I can't give that to them.  They suffer for what he has done.  For what their biological parents have done. I am trying to help them each day and just can't seem to put aside money.

So this is now most of my story.  This is who I am.  Thank you for all your advice.  I been there, done that, searched that, paid for it, had it and all other items that I could do.  There just isn't anything for us.  

Frustration

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

@nannaof3children wrote:

Hi everyone. I am new in writing this. I am a single mom of twin 14-year-old girls. My husband walked out on us two years ago leaving us with past due bills. He was an OTR truck driver and spent our money foolishly and wouldn't tell me what he was spending it on. This lead to arguments thus him walking out without us knowing. In doing this, he left me with a home that was in foreclosure, needed a new roof, past due CMP bills and the list goes on.  We lost all our cable, phone, and many other items.  The girls have gone without so much and this is including food in some months. We need a new car because the one we have is falling apart.   I don't want anyone to feel sorry for us, or pitty, or anything like that. I just want guidance or something I guess.  Where to go when I can't go anywhere? I make to much money according to state guidelines yet they will not take into consideration what I am now paying out.  Making over two house payments a month is not working.  Winter is fast approching and my home is leaking.  I need a new roof badly.  So can someone please help me?  Where do I go?  Help....I can't figure out how to get to Ellen Degeneress.

I'm sorry you are going through all of that!  A lot depends on what state you live in.   

One thing several of my friends are doing is called Co-Abode.

http://www.coabode.org/

That is a website for it, but you could use Craigslist, too, or something similar.   It's for single/divorced women with kids who want to live together to save money. People often do it to afford houses in better school districts.

You could have someone move in with you, or if the house is in such disrepair, is there a way to sell it and move in with someone else? 

Here is another site with resources for single mothers.

http://singlemomsincome.com/a-big-list-of-financial-assistance-resources-for-single-moms/

Also, were you able to go to court or to your state's social services department to get child support?  You can get child support even if you are not divorced yet; it's often called pendente lite.  

Food bank

Inquire at family shelters.   Even though you don't need shelter services, they usually have great information on where to get the other things you are talking about, like leads on a new car.

If you want to name the state, I may be able to get better, local resources for you.   

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Frustration

Message 7 of 7

Hi everyone. I am new in writing this. I am a single mom of twin 14-year-old girls. My husband walked out on us two years ago leaving us with past due bills. He was an OTR truck driver and spent our money foolishly and wouldn't tell me what he was spending it on. This lead to arguments thus him walking out without us knowing. In doing this, he left me with a home that was in foreclosure, needed a new roof, past due CMP bills and the list goes on.  We lost all our cable, phone, and many other items.  The girls have gone without so much and this is including food in some months. We need a new car because the one we have is falling apart.   I don't want anyone to feel sorry for us, or pitty, or anything like that. I just want guidance or something I guess.  Where to go when I can't go anywhere? I make to much money according to state guidelines yet they will not take into consideration what I am now paying out.  Making over two house payments a month is not working.  Winter is fast approching and my home is leaking.  I need a new roof badly.  So can someone please help me?  Where do I go?  Help....I can't figure out how to get to Ellen Degeneress.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet