Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Date while you wait: Speed dating in the subway

Message 1 of 12

@catwoman500 wrote:

@Prosecco6247, I think I remember that story about Joshua Bell. Thanks for the link, Mimi!

I haven't been on many subways/undergrounds, but as for the ones I remember that I have been on, here are my cleanliness rankings from best to worst:

1. (Tie) Paris & DC Metro

2. London's Tube (good lighting, too)

3. Munich

4. Rome

5. Philly. Cat Tongue Scary, too.

Wow  I am impressed with your metro info!! thanks for sharing : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

@Prosecco6247, I think I remember that story about Joshua Bell. Thanks for the link, Mimi!

I haven't been on many subways/undergrounds, but as for the ones I remember that I have been on, here are my cleanliness rankings from best to worst:

1. (Tie) Paris & DC Metro

2. London's Tube (good lighting, too)

3. Munich

4. Rome

5. Philly. Cat Tongue Scary, too.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

I agree that NYC's subways are dirty & gritty and I'm glad I don't have to ride them on a regular basis.  I just think this guy's making the most of a situation that he and other riders find themselves in of necessity.

It's been a long time since I was in London and rode "the Tube" to get from place to place, but I loved the fact that the acoustics of the London Underground allowed the sweet sounds of violin strings to rise up and float through the tunnels and the cellos to boldly announce their presence.  Acoustic guitars sounded rich and assertive.

If you've ever been to Washington, DC and ridden the Metro, you can appreciate the sparkling cleanliness as compared to NYC subways.  I have never heard a "busker" in the Metro but I once read a story about violinist Joshua Bell who played there and no one realized who he was!

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/grammy-winning-violinist-joshua-bell-takes-another-turn-at-a-subway-...

Experimentation and innovation thrive wherever there are open minds and a desire to push old boundaries with new ideas.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

@catwoman500 - Some large Barnes & Noble already have a Starbucks in a corner, with convenient little tables & chairs!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

GROSS! Cat LOL

Very clever idea, but I in no way would want to stay any longer than I actually had to on any subway platform. UGH! Sitting down only brings you closer to the filth and OMG breathing that air for minutes is bad enough. This guy is going to seriously have some lung trouble.

Not that I am interested in participating in something like this, but I like the idea of a library or bookstore, though. I bet a bookstore would go along with a free trial to see what happens. Cat Happy N.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I'd be much more amenable to doing this is a less public, crowded place .. like the corner or meeting room of a library, or a back corner of a local coffee house. Aside from the concern about a crowd getting off the train & knocking us over, I'm not thrilled about being in such a public place where people can easily listen in to your conversation .. not on a date at least! Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

Awww...I found him kind of intriguing!  Not that I'd want to "date" him but I'd have a conversation with him.  I thought the games idea was a good one...it gets people in a relaxed frame of mind and opens up a dialogue.  It's a social experiment...he had at least one guy sitting there...I don't think that necessarily means he wants to date men.  Wonder what he does for a living...or if he's in school...or doesn't do anything at all?  He seems to have a lot of positive energy, so I think he has a life outside of the subway.  He spoke of his family as well so it makes me feel certain he comes from a stable environment...then again, I could be wrong!

CNN must have felt it was a good human interest story to bother airing it.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

I found this entertaining.  I doubt whether he will get many serious inquiries but who knows LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

From what I've seen on subways who would want to meet these wackos.  On you tube that went viral a woman called out a man who was pleasuring himself with a newspaper covering his privates. She wasn't shy about it either---loud so everyone noticed--in broad daylight too.  Was it mental illness or just shock value?  Whatever.  Dating? Yikes!!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

It's been years since I've been on the NYC subways, but as I recall the platforms can get very crowded, and most people are in a hurry. I wouldn't want to be sitting at a table blocking the flow & slowing things down (or getting knocked over). I also don't remember the subways having nice fresh air, that I'd want to be breathing like that guy is, for any extended period of time .. and they're NOISY.

This might not be a bad idea at a place like Penn Station or the Long Island RR Station in Brooklyn (or similar places), in a corner of their large concourses .. but I'm not sure they'd let someone "set up shop" .. without wanting to charge them rent.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22