AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: 5 Problems You Only Face While Living Alone (and How to Deal with Them)

Message 31 of 41
I agree that the longer you live alone, the more creative you become. DO keep a phone handy or have someone come over to talk to even if they can't help. I have done things in the past five years that amaze me!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 41

Putting sliders under furniture and other heavy items helps in moving things or rearranging furniture.  I have had two spine surgeries so I leave the sliders in place all the time.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 41

The person I lived with for 30 years, was the master of deceit. The joy of my life is never having to wonder where the other person is or what that person is doing. I might not have a huge income, but I at least know what I have. I know what I can and can't do. I bought sliders to move my furniture. I even discovered the joy of flying. I enjoy my life. It is what I make of it. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 41
I have been living by myself 11 year .what I learn from our parents to be independent.when our mother pass way me and my father have to live by ourselves .and then my sister and children's move downstair than that change real quick were not by ourselves anyone. There wasn't peace and quiet don't get me wrong as our father was getting older and I did need the help.after our father pass way . And my sister want stay . I decided to leave and move to Naperville IL . I learn so much about living by myself and how save money . I Love it living by myself I have my freedom and peace pieces mind. I still shops big . I mean is , I the way like having a family .what you can still cook like big meal meatloaf or bake chicken and vegetables .these how it works every other meals you cook for dinner stretch it out. What I mean is eat for lunch and dinner so food won't go to waste and for 24 pack of bath tissues that will save you don't split you use it for yourself.you never know that you might need it.now if the storm comes stock up like winter storm.from Anne Kimble
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 41
There's a link to the article at the bottom of the original post.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 41

How do you see the other 3 only 2 show

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 41

@nyadrn - When I'd clean the gutters on my other house, I'd keep my cell phone in a pocket, up on the roof! I think singles learn to be more creative & resilient out of necessity.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 41

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I'm a master of #2 .. taking apart heavy objects, so I can move them. When I had my other house, I moved 2 or 3 6'x36" bookcases back & forth several times, between the living room and guest bedroom! Take out all the books & non-fixed shelves, straddle the bookcase between 2 flat dollies, stand them up to turn corners & get them thru doorways .. then do everything in reverse, when you get them where you want them! Ditto for moving dressers & chests, by taking their drawers out.

The idea of giving a contractor a house key, then changing the door lock, must have been made by someone who doesn't know how much a locksmith charges for that .. and guess what, it also creates more time you have to take off, to be there with the locksmith! Duh.

When you live alone I think that you become adept at dealing with issues yourself and over time work out ways to handle various issues.  That includes people who will be able to help or that you can hire if you need to and lots of ways to deal with things yourself.  One of the main things to remember is to be careful with unusal listing or carrying or reaching or climbing, because if you hurt yourself  you are alone.. keep the cell phone handy!

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 41

I'm a master of #2 .. taking apart heavy objects, so I can move them. When I had my other house, I moved 2 or 3 6'x36" bookcases back & forth several times, between the living room and guest bedroom! Take out all the books & non-fixed shelves, straddle the bookcase between 2 flat dollies, stand them up to turn corners & get them thru doorways .. then do everything in reverse, when you get them where you want them! Ditto for moving dressers & chests, by taking their drawers out.

The idea of giving a contractor a house key, then changing the door lock, must have been made by someone who doesn't know how much a locksmith charges for that .. and guess what, it also creates more time you have to take off, to be there with the locksmith! Duh.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 41

Five is really not many..

and I like the idea that this article shows ideas to handle them...   I have found that the secured condo building setting deals with several issues;  safety, someone to receive your packages, someone to move things if you don't have kids  ( hahhahah) and activities if you want to join in.

Anyone else?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views