Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 5 Problems You Only Face While Living Alone (and How to Deal with Them)

Message 1 of 43

@nyadrn 

Only see (2) problems with solutions, how do you see others?

Have a Blessed Day

Marylin

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 43

When I am no longer able to live alone--if that happens--I will probably move to an apartment or assisted living nearer to my siblings.  However, my father was 95 before he did this, so it will likely be a long time off. The proceeds from selling my home will help fund assisted living if needed.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 43

@m907706g - Thank you for your service to our country; I know that Vietnam veterans don't get the same respect, as veterans of "popular wars"!

71 is young these days; I hope you're really not on your "last legs"!

I've been researching new cars, to replace my 2005 Toyota Camry. I like that the 2018 Camry hybrid has many safety features, that the 2017 didn't have .. since I don't have eyes in the back of my head, and no one else seems to watch where they're going any more!

I'm feeding 3 feral cats; 1 has already been spayed, and I'm hoping to get the other 2 trapped too. The spayed one has become very affectionate, and runs into the house as soon as I open the door. Today I was very frustrated because she didn't want to leave, and with an open concept design, we were running around in circles for a while!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 43

I'm an only child.  a 71 year old child.  And I guess I've seen my share of ups and downs in my young life.  Probably the only thing that really gets to me is wanting to reach out to 1 or 2 family members and they're not really available.  Sometimes I need reassurance or just to discuss something.  Right now I'm in the middle of a major life change while involves a decision to stop driving altogether or purchase a better vehicle to replace one on its last legs.  (Like me?)  So much to consider.  I'm a Vietnam vet and I guess you could say I've been around the block.  I've had 2 or 3 episodes of mental illness and had treatment in VA, where I'm an outpatient as I've been since l976.  I live alone, I love my independence.  So does my cat.  He's waiting for me to move out.  I tell him we're in it for the long haul.  He says, Oh s---!!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 43

@nyadrn wrote:

@dl73698250 wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@dl73698250 - This is the "Singles Perspective" category of discussions. We singles DO feel that we experience things differently, and those of us who live alone don't have any "built in" housemate to assist us. It's getting a little annoying that you're a "guest in our house", and have repeatedly posted that we don't have unique needs being singles living alone.

Sorry, but I, too, am single. I do understand. I just don't want to start a fight with those who aren't by saying that having children is not the answer. There needs to be a better way.

Families are the traditional individual support..  so I don't feel that there is a "better" way.  There is no type of support that I nor my siblings would not and did not offer our parents.  But if I did not have a family still able to help me then I would have to join a support group with friends or find another network of support.

What type of better way do  you see?

What type of better way do you see?

Well, that's the million dollar question. I don't have one. But, if we allow that question to fester in the backs of our minds, somebody might come up with one. Anybody else have any ideas?

Here's another similar question to ponder: When your parents tell you "grow up and leave home and get a job", what does that really mean? How far away can you really go? If we're to take space-travel seriously, who goes and who's left behind? If anyone collonizes Mars (or another galaxy), they will face the same problem. And a new definition of what a family is will be needed. Until things like this are worked out, another "Declaration Of Indepence" will be problematic. After the Moon-landing, we've never been back. That's a long time ago. I'm sure that some people still want to try. The only way to make progress is to think outside-the-box. We don't seem to be very good at it. We can't even solve the problems right in front of our nose. That's depressing. Are we really stuck in this "Space-Time Non-continuum"?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 43

@dl73698250 wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@dl73698250 - This is the "Singles Perspective" category of discussions. We singles DO feel that we experience things differently, and those of us who live alone don't have any "built in" housemate to assist us. It's getting a little annoying that you're a "guest in our house", and have repeatedly posted that we don't have unique needs being singles living alone.

Sorry, but I, too, am single. I do understand. I just don't want to start a fight with those who aren't by saying that having children is not the answer. There needs to be a better way.

Families are the traditional individual support..  so I don't feel that there is a "better" way.  There is no type of support that I nor my siblings would not and did not offer our parents.  But if I did not have a family still able to help me then I would have to join a support group with friends or find another network of support.

What type of better way do  you see?

What type of better way do you see?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 43

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 43

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 43

@nyadrn wrote:

I think that singles feel their aloneness..  you are responsible for everything yourself unless of course you have a supportive family and or friends which thankfully many of us do.  However as we age, so do our friends and sometimes family is far away and we may reach a point where we have to answer that question of "If something happened and I was house bound or needed assistance, who could I count on?"

This is a very important problem everybody faces. Even people who are not alone. Sometimes people "kick the can down the road" and put that problem onto their children. But then their children will face that same problem. Eventually an alternative answer will have to found. And this is also the problem that Social Security faces. Eventually the problem cannot be solved by "throwing more children" at it. I think I'd better stop here before I get into trouble.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 43

I've mentioned several times that I remained in NJ, when I moved to the shore, because I'm very close to my geographically closest relatives who live in the NW part of the state. But as I was crawling along in bumper-to-bumper traffic Wednesday evening, for their Thanksgiving dinner, and even w/o traffic on the 80 mile highway drive home in the dark, I thought that I was nearing my limit for the trip. I don't enjoy those long drives at night, and especially when there's road work, and lanes are temporarily changed & there are cones all over the place! A friend recently told me that her new car has "smart technology" where it uses the high beams at night, and only switches to low beams when there's a vehicle within 5 car lengths ahead of it. So on a wide divided highway, my car might not register with a vehicle coming towards me, and its high beams stay on .. another reason to hate driving at night & some of this technology .. which allows people to avoid using their own common sense, about blinding other drivers on the road!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.