Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 5 Problems You Only Face While Living Alone (and How to Deal with Them)

Message 11 of 41

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@dl73698250 wrote:

These problems seem to be the same even when not alone. The problem we all face, I think, is what to do when we're through with life but life's not through with us.

You may not have meant your comment that way, but it comes across as dismissive of issues singles who live alone face, that others don't .. unless they're caregivers for someone who can't help them.

What I meant was that people who are not alone face those same problems; they're not unique to singles. The solution might be different, but the problem is the same.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 41

@dl73698250 wrote:

These problems seem to be the same even when not alone. The problem we all face, I think, is what to do when we're through with life but life's not through with us.

You may not have meant your comment that way, but it comes across as dismissive of issues singles who live alone face, that others don't .. unless they're caregivers for someone who can't help them.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 41

@nyadrn wrote:

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Do you realize how limiting it is not to be able to bend a thumb, or put any pressure to hold something between your thumb & index finger .. and on your dominant hand?! By weekend, the swelling had gone down & most of the black & blue almost gone .. but I still can't put much pressure on the tip or pad of the thumb. I tried to peel a quartered orange the other night, but finally gave up ..

>

@ASTRAEA  

On top of the list of my fears about living alone if I was not near family would be injury.  Not just the injury itself ( God willing it was not major)  but lifestyle limitations, even if temporary, that would prevent you from being alone.  Glad your injury was not as bad as it might have been but it is a good reminder of just how easily something could happen.  

Two different friends of mine have had recent issues with their mother's becoming unable to live alone.  The first had to find a permanent facilitiy quickly and the other is utilizing companion services and having her mother stay with her.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 41

@nyadrn - I had my accident in the kitchen of Mom's split level (with stairs all over), while I was waiting for the estate sale people to come over & talk about running a sale for me. I had to crawl to the front steps (inside), and go down on my rear end, to unlock the door for them .. and sit there until they showed up. The woman called the local volunteer ambulance group, to get me to the hospital, and her husband was good enough to drive my car home for me!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 41

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@nyadrn - I think that being single & living alone (successfully) for years, makes us very resourceful & independent!

Shortly after my Mom died & my 88-year old aunt moved in with me, I fractured the heel bone on my right foot while cleaning up around my Mom's house so it could be put on the market. My foot/leg was in a non-load-bearing cast, but I had to make things as normal as possible, for my aunt. I got around the house using a walker, rather than crutches, so I could put things in a small basket & still cook & take care of things. I even took the garbage down the shorter outdoor stairs, hopping backwards down the steps, with my walker folded up & slung over a shoulder! I didn't want to risk my aunt doing it & losing her balance .. you heal faster at 50 than 88!

I do agree that we become resourceful and independent..  esp if you like living alone which I do.

My injuries included an injured muscle and tendon in my lower back which hardly allowed me to get up for a week or so and limited my movements for a few weeks.  Without help it would not have been good.

You were a real trooper!  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 41

@nyadrn - I think that being single & living alone (successfully) for years, makes us very resourceful & independent!

Shortly after my Mom died & my 88-year old aunt moved in with me, I fractured the heel bone on my right foot while cleaning up around my Mom's house so it could be put on the market. My foot/leg was in a non-load-bearing cast, but I had to make things as normal as possible, for my aunt. I got around the house using a walker, rather than crutches, so I could put things in a small basket & still cook & take care of things. I even took the garbage down the shorter outdoor stairs, hopping backwards down the steps, with my walker folded up & slung over a shoulder! I didn't want to risk my aunt doing it & losing her balance .. you heal faster at 50 than 88!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 41

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Do you realize how limiting it is not to be able to bend a thumb, or put any pressure to hold something between your thumb & index finger .. and on your dominant hand?! By weekend, the swelling had gone down & most of the black & blue almost gone .. but I still can't put much pressure on the tip or pad of the thumb. I tried to peel a quartered orange the other night, but finally gave up ..

>

@ASTRAEA  

On top of the list of my fears about living alone if I was not near family would be injury.  Not just the injury itself ( God willing it was not major)  but lifestyle limitations, even if temporary, that would prevent you from being alone.  Glad your injury was not as bad as it might have been but it is a good reminder of just how easily something could happen.  

Two different friends of mine have had recent issues with their mother's becoming unable to live alone.  The first had to find a permanent facilitiy quickly and the other is utilizing companion services and having her mother stay with her.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 41

Last Tuesday, I had an accident at home; a very dumb & avoidable situation .. and it reminded me of how even a "small" injury can affect daily life. I was in the bathtub when a large "bug" flew in; without my glasses I wasn't sure what it was .. but I hate bugs! When I got out of the tub, it landed on the floor, and seizing the moment, I threw a towel on it, and quickly hit the towel with what I thought was the strong butt of my hand. Excrutiating pain .. I'd jammed my right thumb against the tile floor! I saw stars .. literally .. as my BP dropped instantly from the pain.

Long story short, the finger swelled, and the 1st joint from the tip of the finger to knuckle turned black & blue, over the next few days. Even the tiniest pressure on the pad of the finger sent pain up through it. I decided to hold off going to a doctor, thinking it might just be a soft tissue injury, rather than something broken/fractured.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 41

@dl73698250 wrote:

I don't really know how to comment on this one without being "artificial". After all, being "civilized" is being artificially pollite. Growing up in poverty with a single mom is not easy. Not for me or her. When my parents got divorced, my dad wanted to give up his part of the house (he no longer wanted any part of it). He offered it to my sister (the oldest), then my brother (the next oldest), and it began to dawn on me that he was not going to offer it to me (the youngest). So I waved my hand and said, "I'll take it, I'll take it!". And if it wasn't for that, I would be homeless today. So, in that sense, those 5 problems for singles aren't even on my radar (I never had the luxury to be troubled by them). I am single, but not troubled by it.

Thank you for posting.  Everyone's reality is different and we all have different perspectives on life and problems dealing with it.   It is good to remember that. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 41

I don't really know how to comment on this one without being "artificial". After all, being "civilized" is being artificially pollite. Growing up in poverty with a single mom is not easy. Not for me or her. When my parents got divorced, my dad wanted to give up his part of the house (he no longer wanted any part of it). He offered it to my sister (the oldest), then my brother (the next oldest), and it began to dawn on me that he was not going to offer it to me (the youngest). So I waved my hand and said, "I'll take it, I'll take it!". And if it wasn't for that, I would be homeless today. So, in that sense, those 5 problems for singles aren't even on my radar (I never had the luxury to be troubled by them). I am single, but not troubled by it.

Kudos
Views