Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: 5 Problems You Only Face While Living Alone (and How to Deal with Them)

Message 21 of 42

I don't really know how to comment on this one without being "artificial". After all, being "civilized" is being artificially pollite. Growing up in poverty with a single mom is not easy. Not for me or her. When my parents got divorced, my dad wanted to give up his part of the house (he no longer wanted any part of it). He offered it to my sister (the oldest), then my brother (the next oldest), and it began to dawn on me that he was not going to offer it to me (the youngest). So I waved my hand and said, "I'll take it, I'll take it!". And if it wasn't for that, I would be homeless today. So, in that sense, those 5 problems for singles aren't even on my radar (I never had the luxury to be troubled by them). I am single, but not troubled by it.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 42

I finally sold the house in NO after it was on the market for 2 years.  Made the move from NO to the Texas Hill Country and love it!!   I'm still in touch via FB friends as to what is going on in NO.  If you're unhappy living there as I was, just take the first steps to being where you want to be, but do the research first re the more desirable communities.  Check out the post in this forum "Aging Gracefully....." and the link Astraea gave.  Not my thing the 55+ communities, I'm too independent!!  I visited Texas a couple of years ago and bought some land here.  Beautiful country!  

One of my kids lived in CA, but moved to NV b/c of high taxes and cost of living (Silicon Valley has become the playground for millionaires who made big $ in the Apple, Google, and Ebay industries--housing is overpriced).  Trust me, it's never too late to make a move!!    

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 42

Hi,

Not always easy.

It really helps to have handyman around.

This goes, especially for help with computer issues.    I just don't have the patience to figure out why computer is slow or just doing strange things.

I'm fortunate that person who helps me around house is only 19, but very knowledgeable on alot of subjects.

Have a great weekend, all!!!

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 42

What a great bunch of self reliant people! 

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 42

Hi!!!

I agree with you.

I lived with my parents for 55 years, in same house and first my mom passed away and then my dad died in 2011 and I inherited the house.

My dad would always say to me, when I am no longer here, I want you to sell all the extra land and sell house and move to someplace that is easier for you.

Well, I just turned 60 and still in family home.  I have no brothers or sisters, but Idid make some changes to house, to make it my own.  Yes, landscaping can be expensive, as I have alot of land, but I just have them mow my lawn, trim bushes and put down fertilizer for lawn.

I plant the flowers and tomato plants.   

I am also fortunate to have a handyman, who comes over whenver I call.

Condo living is not for me.     You really don't know who is living next to you, could be a drug dealer and I would feel unsafe.    You can't trust anybody.  I can picture someone falling asleep with a list cigarette, not a pretty picture.

I like where I am for the privacy.   Yes, all neighborhoods have problems, drugs everywhere, but I just mind my business and put my alarm on at night.

Jitterbug Cellphone is great.  They have this 5star button and if ever I don't feel good, just hit it and ambulance comes.  Also handy for any kind of emergency or danger.   Would recommend this phone to anyone that lives alone.

Sorry for this long chat, but I finally found a group that I can respond to.

Talk to you later.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 42

I enjoyed reading your post about joys of living alone. I am no longer caregiver to anyone for the first time in fifty years. I do have my two dogs Kizzy and Peanut. I too enjoy living alone finally, but maintenance is an issue. I would like a companion for dinners, movies, drives, and short trips. I still have Katrina contractor fraud PTSD, and don't trust easily. I have been saying I do not want to be a homeowner, but your post has me rethinking that. I suppose what I really don't want is to live my golden years in Louisiana. Moving will require me getting an apartment, condos and more house out of the question, as properties are high and I would not be taking on that expense at age 68, but I was reminded that rents are variable, my house paid for.  New Orleans is becoming a tourist town, and  since Katrina older homeowners are being taxed out of their homes. Anyway I'm here until I decide, in the meantime I travel, love to travel. My 48 year old niece in California is the best travel mate for now.Thanks. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 42

@bj445 wrote:

I have come to love living alone, which I've done for over 25 years.   I tried the condo route, but prefer a small house because I am master of my own fate this way, rather than waiting for a board of sometimes inept directors to get things done as I prefer them.  

Even when our road flooded last fall after over 22 inche of rain, we neighbors helped each other.

A pet helps, as does a good and trustworthy handyman as I get older.  If I can't fix it, he generally can.  The money for lawn care and handyman work is also lower than my former condo fees. I also make sure that I have deadbolt locks on my doors and that they are engaged when I am home.  The most important thing in my house is me.

I am careful when it comes to climbing ladders inside or outdoors. Sometimes I call someone to say I will be on a ladder and will call back within the hour to say I'm done, the idea being that if I don't call back, they should check.  

Friends and I get togther reguarly for dinner, movies and chats.  My life has never been better.

Wow  a great positive post!!

I am happy that you are happy with your choices and I hope that you will be able to continue there for as long as you choose to.  Do you have plans in case it becomes too difficult?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 42

I have come to love living alone, which I've done for over 25 years.   I tried the condo route, but prefer a small house because I am master of my own fate this way, rather than waiting for a board of sometimes inept directors to get things done as I prefer them.  

Even when our road flooded last fall after over 22 inche of rain, we neighbors helped each other.

A pet helps, as does a good and trustworthy handyman as I get older.  If I can't fix it, he generally can.  The money for lawn care and handyman work is also lower than my former condo fees. I also make sure that I have deadbolt locks on my doors and that they are engaged when I am home.  The most important thing in my house is me.

I am careful when it comes to climbing ladders inside or outdoors. Sometimes I call someone to say I will be on a ladder and will call back within the hour to say I'm done, the idea being that if I don't call back, they should check.  

Friends and I get togther reguarly for dinner, movies and chats.  My life has never been better.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 42

@sag27

I am glad that you are happy with your choice and that you have moved on to a happy life. 

As we have said here many times, chosing to live alone is not always a worst case choice and the important thing is that we make the decision for ourselves!

Thank you for the post.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 42

@ak36349276

Re:

I have been living by myself 11 year .what I learn from our parents to be independent.when our mother pass way me and my father have to live by ourselves .and then my sister and children's move downstair than that change real quick were not by ourselves anyone. There wasn't peace and quiet don't get me wrong as our father was getting older and I did need the help.after our father pass way . And my sister want stay . I decided to leave and move to Naperville IL . I learn so much about living by myself and how save money . I Love it living by myself I have my freedom and peace pieces mind. I still shops big . I mean is , I the way like having a family .what you can still cook like big meal meatloaf or bake chicken and vegetables .these how it works every other meals you cook for dinner stretch it out. What I mean is eat for lunch and dinner so food won't go to waste and for 24 pack of bath tissues that will save you don't split you use it for yourself.you never know that you might need it.now if the storm comes stock up like winter storm.from Anne Kimble

Thank you for your comments.  I am glad that you are happy with your choice to move Anne!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season