Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: 10 Frugal Hacks for Single Living

Message 1 of 21
Excellent and helpful suggestions. Thank you for making me think. Life is too short. Already fear I have waited too long. Enjoy your pictures and memories.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

Try to have conversations about sleeping habits, diet/exercise habits, and level of independence. Maybe check Twitter or Facebook acct to get a feel for people. We are not all capable of being totally "honest" about ourselves.  I eat like a 5 year old on cruises and don't need diet lectures.  I walk for hours when excited, and don't want other's fears or bodies to limit me.  Try to meet or link to travel group and listen to past concerns.  Stay open minded and have fun.  It's your time and money. 

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

A friend traveling when all of us were too broke or busy was assigned a roommate and despised the woman. Day 2 she complained and got a singles accommodation without extra cost. Not always possible, and the roommate was still part of the tour, but my friend was happy.  Considering taking a chance, but I have been known to walk away on my own. Can't control where I sleep or pre-paid meals, but my personal time is just that. Once slipped away from a cruise mate and she actually "reported" me to the other 16 group cruisers.  A big ship on a small island. Her fun was not mine and she could not walk or stand.  Not my problem!  

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

You are a very smart traveler.  Wish I had the nerve to be so independent, but will pay for the Umbrella Guide to point out every bathroom at 3x what you are paying.  Go independent for small islands, but fearful of language, money and unknown museum times and fees in Europe, etc.  Maybe after I overspend the 1st time, I'll be able to copy your tricks on a future trip.  

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21
Try a can of Rubenstein's red salmon, generally sold at King Kullen for only 2.99 per can. It's delicious, affordable and offers the same nutrients as fresh salmon for much less.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21
Thanks for sharing about your cruises. You're right about traveling while healthy and capable. Like you, I have memories and photos. The latter are slides which I was planning to just throw out, but now am considering
compiling them in compact discs. It would be pricey doing them so I'm not sure I'll go ahead and do it.
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

I compare prices on line all the time, esp for airlines, hotels, etc.  Takes awhile but I have found some exceptional deals.  I find doing package deals usually costs me more when traveling.  A ouple of years ago I went to Paris and after about 6 months of internt searching found a 12 day deal and paid $1,294.00 for round trip airfare and hotel.  I bought all my food from farmer's markets and street vendors..  Did 13 days and 12 nights for under $3000. And I used the Metro for traveling and bought a book of tickets.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

@2Papa - It would be wise for potential travel partners to spend time together casually, and even maybe take a weekend trip, before committing to anything longer & a lot more expensive. That would make it more difficult to partner up with someone who didn't live relatively near you.

Where I used to live, I was friends with a woman a few years older than me, who had traveled a lot. It would have been very convenient for both us us, to have a travel partner. However I knew that she "dawdled" and was always late, and that would have driven me nuts on a trip. She even commented that when she'd traveled with someone else, it was the other woman's "responsibility" to make sure she got up, dressed & ready for the tour bus on time. I have no children; I'm not going to be responsible for an adult's behavior like that!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

What if the travel companion turns out to be a dud and you are stuck with them? Ruined vacation!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

I was just on a nutritionist's website this morning, and it included a link to an online service for very healthy food. I checked out the link, and immediately connected to this discussion about "Frugal Hacks".

I was curious about the types of fish this website offered, and since I'm familiar with what I'm currently paying for Alaskan king samon & similar salmons, I checked out their prices. They had a package of 6, 6-oz filets .. for $127! That's $21 for a portion that's less than a 1/2 lb of fish .. or $56/lb! Major "ouch". I didn't look at their other prices after that! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views