Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: 10 Frugal Hacks for Single Living

Message 11 of 21

I think you have to meet or have extended conversation before you go anywhere with someone. I'm not talking about a cruise here. A cruise is easier because you are in a more protected environment nd there are others that you can meet up with. I am talking about a trip that is not with a group. So you must take the time to meet the person out. Not an easy thing to do...but possible.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

what information can a group recommends when a single member prepares to travel.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21
There are meetup groups that you meet before traveling. Meetup.com then enter your town and go from there
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

@2Papa, @Terr5555 - Vacations are too big an investment, to be partnered with a total stranger, even if you don't spend that much time in your room!

Many years ago when I first started working, I went to a professional convention of women engineers, asking them to arrange a room share .. to make a new friend. Although we were all working adults, my roommate just left everything where she dropped it .. shoes, clothes, used damp towels, etc. We didn't have the same time schedules, so I'd be asleep when she'd come back in the evening, and she'd be asleep when I got up .. great for sharing a bathroom, but no opportunities to chat & get to know each other. She'd also come with 2 friends from college, who were sharing another room, so she apparently had no interest in getting to know or spend time with me. All I represented was a way for her to avoid the single supplement. Last time I shared a room with a stranger!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21
What if the travel companion turns out to be a dud and you are stuck with them? Ruined vacation!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

Try traveling in groups that have low or no single supplements, like Grand Circle or Vantage Travel. You get benefit of company without problems of forced sharing. These groups also have places to publish your desire for a traveling companion if you want to share a room, very good for cruises. I also found a separate website dedicated to finding traveling companions. For cruises join Cruise Critic website, lets you find others on your specfic sailing so you can set up excursions, meet for dinner; I had wonderful times on cruises by myself meeting people and enjoying together. Travel while you are healthy and capable, don't put it off for the future. I spent a lot of money traveling alone while I was still working but now that I'm retired, I'm not strong enough to travel. But I have my memories, photos and my apartment is decorated with pictures of the places I've traveled.    

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

I don't have any problems to speak about living single, but I think a traveling partner would be great. It saves money and makes it more fun.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

The ultimate in frugality is preserving the wonderful fruit at farm stands.  I found a way to skip some steps in canning.  On ebay I saw a canning tray that easily fits into a large stockpot and holds 6 Ball jars.  It's a lot cheaper than buying the whole setup, and it works.  Of course, the tongs are necessary to lift the jars out of the steaming hot pot.  My mom put up figs  and dad made delicious watermelon pickles from the rind. Canning does take time, but it's worth it.  Here juicy peaches were ripe on the trees in May, and canning is a great way to enjoy summer fruit in the dead of winter.  

I love the country setting, the bucolic peacefulness of grazing cows, and horses.  The folks who own the pasture across the road have 10 black cows, and next to my property on the left are 20 sheep and goats.  I'm sure livestock is big business when the farmers have large trailers transporting these animals for selling and butchering to markets.  They also have Ag-exempt tax land that is used for agriculture, such as baling hay.  Every now and then I go to Austin -- the traffic is awful, and don't resemble the city I remember when the kids were little (sigh) progress!!   Austin is now the Texas Silicon Valley.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

Good ideas, but again, "singles 101" & nothing really new or creative.

In trying to think of good frugal ideas now, they're not specifically for singles .. I think people either "think frugal" or they don't, regardless of their relationship situation.

- If you want to downsize, keep in mind the furniture you already have & would like to keep. You're not really "saving", if you get a place just a little too small .. then need to buy all new furniture that will fit.

- Don't overbuy on produce, unless you're able to cook/can or share it, or you'll be wasting a lot in spoilage.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

This was interesting mainly because you do not see too many articles about the single life that do not involve dating sites : )

What do you think of the list?

Any suggestions?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views