Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: "Consumer" Cellular

Message 1 of 21

You know, I've been using them for years without issues. I even buy phones on eBay and just transfer the SIM card. Having said that, CC only resells a subset of AT&T and T-Mobile's services. I say subset because AT&T allows customers to block phone numbers via a Web page, but Consumer Cellular customers don't get that. Consumer Cellular wants customers to "install an app" which is impossible on a stick or flip phone and nobody should have an idiot phone to install an app on anyway. After 30+ years in IT I can tell you idiot phones are the most insecure device ever manufactured.

Like every carrier out there they screw you on a downgrade. If you downgrade your services they don't reduce your bill or have that take effect until the next billing cycle.

T-Mobile has the worst coverage in North America. If someone got a T-Mobile SIM from Consumer Cellular they will have a miserable experience.

t-mobile-coverage.png

When visit this link and key in the address for the family farm I get this pretty pink image having only a couple of black dots. That map is a complete fabrication. I tried a T-Mobile SIM from CC before getting the ATT. I couldn't even get one bar standing outside and looking straight at a cell tower just a couple miles away.

sonim-phone.pngI have the ATT SIM card stuck in a Sonim XP-Bolt and have great service. I'm a traveling IT consultant, currently in Minnesota on a project. I've not had issues.

MVC-008S.JPGWhen the last 3G tower gets turned off I have another Sonim phone sitting here in a drawer. I was using it with the current SIM but a software update made it start acting weird so I went back to the older phone. By the time my current phone stops working they should have long since fixed whatever it was they pushed out. Until then, it was only $30 on eBay and can sit in the drawer.

I didn't go through AARP when I got CC. In fact I just joined AARP today. I made the decision on my own after years of various carriers. One has to do a lot of leg work finding non-carrier sponsored actual coverage maps before choosing a cell carrier because it seems if they have even 2 towers up they can claim "nationwide coverage".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

I definitely would not recommend Consumer Cellular. I don't understand why AARP supports Consumer Cellular and J.D. Power gives it high ratings for customer service.  In my experience, customer service reps' friendliness and willingness to help is exceeded by their lack of knowledge and ability to provide assistance. The ZTE Mobile Hotspot I bought from Consumer Cellular to connect to the Internet failed within a week. They sent me a new one, and that failed, too. I also went through 3 SIM cards. The ZTE Mobile Hotspot guide states that there is a 12-month warranty, but when I called Consumer Cellular, a rep and a supervisor told me that my claim was outside their 45-day risk-free trial period and refused to honor the warranty. So I'm stuck with a worthless electronic device. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

Good morning

Love Consumer Cellular. I have a problem and a suggested solution. My phone number is 541 914-7429 if you would like to look at my account. We are on the unlimited with 20 GB of Data. Our billing period runs the ninth of the month through the eighth of the next month. This last month(Nov - Dec), we received a notice that we had exceeded our 20 GB on 12/7 and our speed was being decreased. I immediately checked our usage on your web sight and it showed around 18.8 GB used. I call customer service and they verified the amount as being 19.1 GB used. The next day I called customer service again as it was still slow. I again checked our account on line and now it showed around 18.2 GB used. This with virtually one day left till our account reset. I called customer service again and I spent a good 20 to 30 minutes trying to explain the situation. I ended up asking to speak to a supervisor. She spent the next 10 minutes trying to get one and finally said one would call me within 2 hours. A gentleman called about 45 minutes later. The result was he explained it was all computer run and generated and they have to account for data usage which may come in later.

Here is what I feel is the problem. I have a 20 GB plan. With a day and a half left and almost 2 GB remaining, our speed was slowed. The supervisor on the eighth said that the speed is slowed down at 18 GB no mater the date or time to allow for any data to come in from non AT&T towers. Our total usage on my bill statement ended up being just a bit over 18.5 GB. The result for me is slowed speed for a day and a half and 1.5 GB of data unused. I assumed the $40 for 20 GB of data means I'm paying for all 20 GB. If I am close as with this last month every month, I don't see how I will ever use all 20 GB and will have to suffer with slow speed for 1 to ? days each month.

Suggested Solution - My example is an example of what can happen with the existing policy. From what I gather, the policy is up to 26 GB allowed max per month ( $40 first 20, then $5 for each afterwards, and shut off at 26. If this is the case, may I suggest full speed up to 20 GB recorded usage on the account and then slow the speed. Any further usage and pending usage would fall into the $5 per GB category.

What I would like to see is my being able to agree to have full speed up to 23 or 24 GB then slow the speed to 26 GB and shut off at 26. Unless you are loosing money at $5 per GB it only means more income for you if customers go over the 20 GB. You could still make the current set up available to customers that want that type of control.

Thanks for your time.

Brian D. Parker (retired)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

Is anyone else getting an unusual number of 411/Directory Assistance calls on their Consumer Cellular bills?  My 92 year old mother has a total of 29 listed and sometimes there are 3-4 a minute apart. My mother has all the phone numbers she needs in her address book. I can maybe believe 2-3 calls in a couple of months but not 29!!! Each call costs $ 1.50 !  Check your bills people. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

Why would you be "dissapointed?" What's in it for you if any of us like Consumer Cellular? I'm not dissapointed that you like them, only befuddled.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

I've had Consumer Cellular for about 3 years now. I switched from T-Mobile because the talk-data plans for smartphones started at $50/month. I pay less than $25/month with CC. I don't use the phone a lot, but I've never had an issue. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21
I know I'm only one person but I've had Consumer Cellular for 4 years and no problems so far. Have a cheap MotoG smartphone. Then again, I'm not on the phone 24/7 and I live near a metropolitan area with loads of cell towers. Maybe rural areas don't do well with CC? They really were my cheapest option. Hope you find a good carrier!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

To whom must I speak to understand why Consumer Cellular, so heavily marketed by AARP, does not seem to maintain MMS capability for my Moto G 5.1 cell phones.  Problem began about 4-5 months ago (verified by history log at CC) on my phone first but now on my wife's phone.  Nearly every week we need to call and waste hours either in queue or talking/chatting with a technical support person who resets things for us until about a week or so later.  Sounds like CC does quite frequent system updates which exclude sensitivity to the Moto G 5.1.  No MMS is not acceptable to most subscribers but particularly the AARP members who have family and friends scattered globally and need MMS to keep informed.  No one seems to know what the problem is but only that our records show there is a problem.  Let's get AARP involved in behalf of its members!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

Consumer Cellular never could get files downloaded to my phone in two years.  Consumer Cellular have been experience "unusually high call volumes" since at least 2014.  I never was able to transact any business with them in less than half an hour.  When I switched to Metro PCS I instantly saved $8/month and got an improvement in service as well.  When I did switch Consumer Cellular started telling my my account was overdue before sending my final bill.  When I had a question, they took 45 days to respond with an answer. 

The fact that AARP drives unsuspecting members to Consumer Cellular brings the integrity of AARP into question for me.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

It was nigh unto impossible to get out of a "no contract" relationship with Consumer Cellular after discovering I had very bad service at my home.  Their Customer service was the worst I have ever experienced with up to 2 hour wait times (and then calls bumping off while I listened to recordings of their claim to being rated best for customer service in the US....).  Hoping to save money on my cell phone service, I ended up spending way too much in money and frustration...... and after purchasing a $200 phone, they refused to unlock it until I had 6 months of service with them.  The drama continues and my only recourse is to steer others from engaging with them!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!