Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Scams & Fraud

Welcome to the Scams & Fraud forum. Political discussions are not permitted unless they directly relate to Scams & Fraud.

0 Kudos

I am not replying to AARPLynne but I am reporting a scam.

It was for Skincell skin tag remover.

I was charged for three bottles, and only wanted two.  Fortunately I was able to get some refunded as I called the number before I sent the payment by credit card. Ah, but when I got the items and they did not work, they were totally useless, No number!

No way to get a refund of the $90 I spent.

I did make a report to the Better Business Bureau, where this company had a horrible rating.

I do now notice that they no longer advertise.

Hopefully they were stopped. 

0 Kudos

I received an IRS form 1099-K in the snail mail yesterday from eBay reporting $2000 in income from a sale in June, 2021. I have an eBay account, but have never bought or sold anything there. In conversations with very helpful people at eBay I discovered that the sale was linked to an account also opened in June, 2021 in my name, apparently with my social security number, but with bank and gmail accounts I have never used. The seller never delivered the items and the purchase price was refunded to the buyer. Since no money is involved I suspect someone was just testing whether a stolen name and SS# were valid.

I would never have known about any of this except the IRS changed the reporting threshold for 2021 from $20,000 to $600. I have had a security freeze on my credit accounts since the Anthem and OPM data breaches, which both lost my personal information, and I participate in the Anthem Experian Identityworks program. I haven't seen any other evidence of a problem this year, but in 2015 someone claimed an IRS refund for me before I had filed my return (joke was on them, because I wasn't due a refund).

Does anyone care or is this kind of event too common to notice? I filed a police report with the tax problem, but nobody has suggested doing that now. Does any agency track this kind of stuff? Are there other precautions I should be taking? I try to close unused accounts, but somehow I missed my real eBay account. I would really like to see some kind of "sunset" law where places where I have inactive accounts delete them as well as all my personal information tied to those accounts after giving me a notice.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I reported a scam through the Better Business Bureau in Southern California, I also reported a scam through AARP but was only asked for a zip code, no details and no further. I want to make sure this business which is an online and physical art gallery and their affiliates does not scam others - they already had two reports at the BBB. Is there a way I can more fully report a scam to the AARP community? Thank you Judy jlungen@mac.com 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

AARP Games Fall Cash Sweepstakes is here! $15,000 in cash prizes! Enter now for a chance to win the $1,000 and $2,000 prizes.

AARP Games Fall Cash Sweepstakes Enter Now

More From AARP