Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Victim of Scam: My perspective

Message 1 of 7

"...yes! blame the victim why don't you....".

I'm trying to understand it.  I don't know what 'card numbers' are or whatever other actions you took. That's why I'm posting.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 2 of 7
thanks for your feedback. lesson learned indeed!!
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 3 of 7
yes! blame the victim why don't you... I'm sure those who suffered loss (most way more than me) at the hands of good ole B. Madoff and those like him must feel the same way, right? When I wrote that scammers bank on the shame and guilt of their victims, your response was just what I was talking about. Only I need to add silence too. I took great pride in being responsible..following an illnss and surgery that (if I decided to push) I could have gotten disability for...after all I worked for it right? But I wanted to stay in the race and thought (like so many other VICTIMS) that I was careful.
Thank you. Your feedback may be just the motivation I need, though.
Highlighted
Contributor

Message 4 of 7

yes! blame the victim why don't you... I'm sure those who suffered loss (most way more than me) at the hands of good ole B. Madoff and those like him must feel the same way, right?  When I wrote that scammers bank on the shame and guilt of their victims, your response was just what I was talking about. Only I need to add silence too. I took great pride in being responsible..following an illnss and surgery that (if I decided to push) I could have gotten disability for...after all I worked for it right? But I wanted to stay in the race and thought (like so many other VICTIMS) that I was careful.

Thank you. Your feedback may be just the motivation I need, though. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 7

"....BUT I also have to get and send card numbers and dates....".

What does that mean? What card numbers? Are you talking gift card numbers? I'm trying to understand what you did. Did you ever have to deposit a check for them and then wire or send money to them?

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Highlighted
Silver Conversationalist

Message 6 of 7

whoa. That is awful. I'm sorry this happened to you.

I have read of that particular type of scam a number of times...they send you a check, then later it is mysteriously "recalled". 

I'm glad it was not a more painful (more $$$) lesson for you. But it still <omitted haha>

Thank you for having the courage to post your story as a real-life warning to others. I'm sure that took courage to write and post!

I hope all goes well with your medical issues. etc.

@valsvo wrote:

Highlighted
Contributor

Victim of Scam: My perspective

Message 7 of 7

In may of this year, I lost over 2600.00$ to scammers. I thought I was careful, I did my research. I was using THEIR money so I thought I was safe. I am dealing with medical issues, but am at that age where I'm too young for SS and didn't qualify for long-term SSD. I could do some work and thought that I would find success as a secret shopper..something to get me out of the house on a regular for a little while at a time until I could get back to full-time. Along with my assignment, I got a check from GA Credit Union and found it to be legit. I'm shopping with THEIR money, I'm sending reports of ratings for customer service, BUT I also have to get and send card numbers and dates. I'm shopping with THEIR money so I'm good. There was some communication but they perferred texting. I'm good with that. It leaves a record and after all...it's THEIR money right? As long as I get paid, I'm fine. When they put a stop to the check, THEIR money became MY money. I was absoutely floored. I mean this was perfect timing. I had just received a lump payment from SS due to being unable to work..a little over 3000$. How did they know? Thankfully, I was able to cover all but about 500$. I closed my checking account and got a new one, but that one was closed too b/c I just didn't have the money to pay on it. Any funds I got went to living..rent, lights/water, etc. I reported this to high-heaven..I even called California...the address where all this 'information' came from. All I got was a speech about the obvious and shamed. Already with health issues, this was the final straw for my daughter. I live with her now and am going through bankruptcy. For those of us who are victims, I've learned that they bank on our shame. They gamble on our advanced ages and bet on our guilt. I move on because I have to, but I don't want this to die down. I have all my information. I want them found and prosecuted....I hope they are already.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users