Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Info Seeker

Re: This Call is Being Recorded For Quality Purposes

Message 1 of 9 (60 Views)

I may not be in the right area but I just received a phone call from "David Allen with the FTC 1-888-425-5301 saying that the FTC was holding a package for me and to call the number above.  I believe that this is a scam.

I also keep receiving emails from AMAZON saying that they have my surprise gift waiting for me.  But in order to receive the gift I must list personal information to assure that it is mine.  I have tried to notify AMAZON of this, but cannot find a way to notify them.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 9 (122 Views)

octavia84 wrote:

Yes, Epster. I have no qualms hanging up on these callers. For one, they are always male. Furthermore, using the police as a way to freighten us is unconscientable. And when they want us to think it is PAL sending kids to the circus, well, maybe it is true, but I am jaded anymore. I do not believe callers asking for money. Like you, I support the police and firemen, as well as the Church, in legitimate ways.

@octavia84  Good for you. Hanging up on them is excellent. And I quite agree: scams that employ  tactics to frighten older people are reprehensible.  

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 9 (127 Views)

Yes, Epster. I have no qualms hanging up on these callers. For one, they are always male. Furthermore, using the police as a way to freighten us is unconscientable. And when they want us to think it is PAL sending kids to the circus, well, maybe it is true, but I am jaded anymore. I do not believe callers asking for money. Like you, I support the police and firemen, as well as the Church, in legitimate ways.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 9 (211 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"....had one number that was calling breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner and after the recording picked up, each time the caller left no message.  I discovered a website to complain about callers who repeatedly call you when you are on the do not call list and that again did nothing - more calls....".

That's our experience too. But, we have not explored our options. We still use a landline and there may be something phone company can do. Most of what is going on now is that DW is in process of signing up for Medicare. So, we're getting calls and letters related to supplements.  I assume that will stop soon.

You can use "call blocking or *61" but it only works if they stay on the line long enough for you answer machine to click on, regardless if they leave a message or not.  However, these boiler rooms have a lot of different numbers and can spoof even more, so it is fruitless to use up all your blocked allotment on just unidentifiable numbers.

Just let the answer machine screen all your incoming calls and then no pain, no gain.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 9 (245 Views)

"....had one number that was calling breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner and after the recording picked up, each time the caller left no message.  I discovered a website to complain about callers who repeatedly call you when you are on the do not call list and that again did nothing - more calls....".

That's our experience too. But, we have not explored our options. We still use a landline and there may be something phone company can do. Most of what is going on now is that DW is in process of signing up for Medicare. So, we're getting calls and letters related to supplements.  I assume that will stop soon.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 9 (287 Views)

@GailL1 Yes, it was a robo call. I could hear the computer beeps as the connection was switched to an operator.

Besides, nobody who knows me calls this number. They all know better.

Answering device is sage advice for most people. I gave mine away years ago because for years I was very nearly impossible to reach on the land line (homesteading herbalist: I was out in the greenhouse, foraging herbs, out tending farm animals, or ranch handing, but almost never close enough to hear the telephone ring.) And we have terrible cell reception due to geography, so I don't have a cell phone, either. Anyway, phone tag was ridiculous. I'd return calls, they'd return my call, repeat ad nauseam. Ugh-a-roni-and-cheese. Smiley Happy

So about 8 years ago I went to mostly email based communication. That works. For me. Weirdo that I am. Smiley Happy

I'd mess with caller ID except that that was the first phone call all month. What day is it? Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 9 (294 Views)

These are Robocalls - meaning the numbers are randomly dialed.  So it does not matter if your number is unlisted or if you are on the Do Not Call list - that's only for legit companies which follow the rules.

Many times these calls originate in another country.

That's why you use an answering device.  If it is important, they can leave a message.  Or if you recognize the number, notice I said number, not caller ID info because you can no longer trust the number or caller identified on the caller ID

because those things can also be spoofed.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 9 (310 Views)

Epster wrote:

I just took a call from a gravelly voiced gent who claimed to be from the Policemen's Association. He also claimed the call was being monitored for quality purposes.

Gimmee a break. 

First off: our number is unlisted, and we do not give it out, and it was clearly a computer generated call.

Secondly, we give to our church, the local fire department and to Search and Rescue, so ... no. 

Thirdly, they are not recording the call, they are trying to make people relax about the call. Oh, it's being recorded, this must be legit. BS. OK, maybe they do record all the call center calls so they can glean whatever data unsuspecting people offer up. It's still BS. 

Finally, we are on the Do Not Call list. Which is what I said right before thanking him for the call and hanging up. Smiley Happy

Recording you as you pledge money has no legal merit, as a pledge is not legally binding. The recording, if any, serves to make recipients think the call is legit. It is said to make you let down your guard.

I say hang up on the bums. Don't feel you must be as polite as I was, though. Smiley Happy

I have never received so many bogus calls since I put my number on the "Do Not Call" list.  I'm starting to wonder if the list itself is being used to generate all these calls? I had one number that was calling breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner and after the recording picked up, each time the caller left no message.  I discovered a website to complain about callers who repeatedly call you when you are on the do not call list and that again did nothing - more calls.

Final solution - block repeated calls when number is shown on caller id.  Sometimes they spoof the number or even block their number so you can't even do that.  So, you are left with, if you don't recognize the caller, let them leave a message and phone seems to ring all the time!

If the government, who created the do not call list, punished those severely that still call, the problem would vanish.  Don't hold your breath.

This Call is Being Recorded For Quality Purposes

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 9 (332 Views)

I just took a call from a gravelly voiced gent who claimed to be from the Policemen's Association. He also claimed the call was being monitored for quality purposes.

Gimmee a break. 

First off: our number is unlisted, and we do not give it out, and it was clearly a computer generated call.

Secondly, we give to our church, the local fire department and to Search and Rescue, so ... no. 

Thirdly, they are not recording the call, they are trying to make people relax about the call. Oh, it's being recorded, this must be legit. BS. OK, maybe they do record all the call center calls so they can glean whatever data unsuspecting people offer up. It's still BS. 

Finally, we are on the Do Not Call list. Which is what I said right before thanking him for the call and hanging up. Smiley Happy

Recording you as you pledge money has no legal merit, as a pledge is not legally binding. The recording, if any, serves to make recipients think the call is legit. It is said to make you let down your guard.

I say hang up on the bums. Don't feel you must be as polite as I was, though. Smiley Happy