AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: This Call is Being Recorded For Quality Purposes

Message 1 of 15

ranh821693 wrote:

Hello all,

If you get telephone calls from telemarketers or telephone scammers, we would like to help you.  We are a team of students that is developing a product to help people like you screen out telephone calls from fraudsters.  If you have a story to share, we would love to have a conversation with you and get your reactions to our prototypes.  Please pass us your details: https://goo.gl/forms/iHLhXCnO2Zmh33O33. Thank you.

Hi @ranh821693.  I see you've posted this twice, so I'm going to post my response twice as well. Smiley Wink

I have a couple of comments about this.  First off, to me at least, this doesn't look legitimate. I mean, I need the proper name of the group, the website, telephone number, et cetera, so I can independently check you out (or alternately report your group to the FBI's internet fraud unit, depending upon what I find). Also needed here, IMHO, is some sort of introduction from AARP stating that this information gathering is happening with their consent. (Otherwise it looks like you are taking advantage of us, ya know?)

I see that your Google form was created inside Stanford University, so I expect that you will be able to either give us details about your initiative and your group or, um, how to say this delicately ... go away. Smiley Happy Certainly there have been papers or articles printed about your initiative? Yes? Wise to share those upfront, sez me.

For everyone else: below are screenshots of what you'll get should you travel on over to the Google form linked to above. As they are asking for personal contact information, I suggest ignoring this until/unless authenticity can be verified. And if authenticity cannot be verified, welp, I suggest using the link at the very bottom to report this to Stanford U.

Stanford Elder Fraud Group contact form 1.png

Stanford Elder Fraud Group contact form 2.png

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

____

Message 2 of 15

____

Message 3 of 15

octavia84 wrote:

I get these "#amazon" emails, too. You can tell it's a ruse because amazon's email address has some extra character in it. These con artists play on our emotional response to the getting something for nothing offers. Do not even open them. 

@octavia84 Right: if it sounds too good to be true... Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 4 of 15

I get these "#amazon" emails, too. You can tell it's a ruse because amazon's email address has some extra character in it. These con artists play on our emotional response to the getting something for nothing offers. Do not even open them. 

Message 5 of 15

rf4633 wrote:

I may not be in the right area but I just received a phone call from "David Allen with the FTC 1-888-425-5301 saying that the FTC was holding a package for me and to call the number above.  I believe that this is a scam.

I also keep receiving emails from AMAZON saying that they have my surprise gift waiting for me.  But in order to receive the gift I must list personal information to assure that it is mine.  I have tried to notify AMAZON of this, but cannot find a way to notify them.

@rf4633  One way to check on the FTC call is to look up the FTC's phone number. Don't call the one provided, call the fraud line, or some other toll-free number for them. Your call may have to be transferred to the correct department, but this way you can check on the name of the person, the phone number and the details without calling what is almost certainly a fraudulent number.

I'm 99.99% sure this is a scam, btw. Ask yourself: does the FTC hold packages for people? So I'd be all about reporting it to the FTC. Go get 'em! Smiley Happy

Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 15

@rf4633- You can send the spam email to Amazon at

stop-spoofing@amazon.com

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Info Seeker

Message 7 of 15

I may not be in the right area but I just received a phone call from "David Allen with the FTC 1-888-425-5301 saying that the FTC was holding a package for me and to call the number above.  I believe that this is a scam.

I also keep receiving emails from AMAZON saying that they have my surprise gift waiting for me.  But in order to receive the gift I must list personal information to assure that it is mine.  I have tried to notify AMAZON of this, but cannot find a way to notify them.

Message 8 of 15

octavia84 wrote:

Yes, Epster. I have no qualms hanging up on these callers. For one, they are always male. Furthermore, using the police as a way to freighten us is unconscientable. And when they want us to think it is PAL sending kids to the circus, well, maybe it is true, but I am jaded anymore. I do not believe callers asking for money. Like you, I support the police and firemen, as well as the Church, in legitimate ways.

@octavia84  Good for you. Hanging up on them is excellent. And I quite agree: scams that employ  tactics to frighten older people are reprehensible.  

Conversationalist

Message 9 of 15

Yes, Epster. I have no qualms hanging up on these callers. For one, they are always male. Furthermore, using the police as a way to freighten us is unconscientable. And when they want us to think it is PAL sending kids to the circus, well, maybe it is true, but I am jaded anymore. I do not believe callers asking for money. Like you, I support the police and firemen, as well as the Church, in legitimate ways.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 15

retiredtraveler wrote:

"....had one number that was calling breakfast time, lunch time, and dinner and after the recording picked up, each time the caller left no message.  I discovered a website to complain about callers who repeatedly call you when you are on the do not call list and that again did nothing - more calls....".

That's our experience too. But, we have not explored our options. We still use a landline and there may be something phone company can do. Most of what is going on now is that DW is in process of signing up for Medicare. So, we're getting calls and letters related to supplements.  I assume that will stop soon.

You can use "call blocking or *61" but it only works if they stay on the line long enough for you answer machine to click on, regardless if they leave a message or not.  However, these boiler rooms have a lot of different numbers and can spoof even more, so it is fruitless to use up all your blocked allotment on just unidentifiable numbers.

Just let the answer machine screen all your incoming calls and then no pain, no gain.