Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

The Perfect Scam: Can Medicare Fraud Give You Cancer? Part 1

Retired Community Manager

The Perfect Scam: Can Medicare Fraud Give You Cancer? Part 1

A bustling oncology practice in Michigan is hiding something sinister. Patients come to Farid Fata at their most vulnerable, after they’ve been diagnosed with cancer or to receive the life-altering diagnosis. But when Angela, an oncology nurse, arrives at one of Fata’s well-regarded clinics for an interview, she finds that nothing is as it seems. Horrified by what she sees, she reports the doctor for committing an unthinkable form of Medicare fraud

0 Kudos
Contributor

This compay will send you a box of health products that are about &75 to $100 in value and charge your insurance company $2200.00 dollars. IT was items i don't use.

Some how they have your ID number. Not from me.  The box only has the product in it. 

The company name.

Pain Management Equipment

21040 Highland Knolls Dr.

Ste 200

Katy Tx 77450

0 Kudos

TIPS:  If you think you’ve been a victim of a scam or would like to report fraud call The Fraud Watch Network Helpline at 877-908-3360Anyone can become the victim of a scam, it’s important to be vigilant and know your vulnerabilities. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I have no idea how I would know if I'm being victimized.

I have a new cancer diagnosis, and I'm doing 5-hour infusion treatments once a week having started only 4 weeks ago. 

I do get a blood test, before starting every week, and the results are printed and handed to me. The doctor makes quick rounds with everyone and checks results, states his opinion of them (getting better, worse, no change), and asks if there are any questions/concerns.

It would appear I'm getting good care, but I would have no idea if it were not legit unless there is a conspiracy and the blood tests are all faked.

The general question is: how as an 'ignorant' consumer of a very complex part of the medical system, would I know if I'm getting treated 'properly' and everything is on the up-and-up?  I've gone to relatives who are in the medical field to try to get 'in English' explanations of the blood test results which are far beyond my biology/chemistry class knowledge. I don't know what else I can do.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos

Dear @retiredtraveler, thank you for posting your question and sharing your circumstances. We wish you the very best during treatment.

When I read your post, I consulted with AARP Scams & Fraud expert, Amy Nofziger to get the best answer for you. Her advice is to ask for copies of the bloodwork, to have proof of results. And if ever you feel unsure, always ask for a second opinion from another provider inside or outside of the hospital. Check to make sure the doctor is licensed in the field of Medicine and check credentials with the board of medicine.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP