Join the Town Hall on Turning Your Passion into Profit at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Info Seeker

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Donation fraud.

Message 1 of 88

My grandfather worked for the Red Cross back in the 50's as their advertising rep. Thought u might enjoy this ad!

1487715_10152454971536110_1736645399_o.jpg

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. FUNERAL HOME

Message 2 of 88

Grandpa has been the victim of many scams and unnecessary purchases costing him big $$$. A Big Funeral company where grandpa had purchased a burial plot (paid over time) convinced him to buy insurance for the purpose of ensuring his burial plot gets paid off in the event he dies b4 the account is settled. And the beneficiary of the insurance policy was the Big Funeral company. This insurance "product" has the effect of making it harder to pay off the original account, thus increasing the likelihood the insurance policy will pay off...to Big Funeral! Warn your older family members of this Big Funeral practice.

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Donation fraud.

Message 3 of 88

Red Cross has hundreds and hundreds of volunteers. The administrative costs include storage of emergency supplies and training. I see folks ding larger organizations all the time. Now a cancer organization that only spends 4% of the take on research is suspect. (There is one, but you can double check any legitimate charity on Charity Navigator). Most take a reasonable percent to make things happen. Red Cross is reputable, that's why I volunteered there to help with the fire emergency shelter and the fire prevention activities in my town.

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 4 of 88

did you give her the info? If so, first thing to do - contact your credit bureaus (all 3) and your banks. Get a freeze on your credit. Yes, it will cost a little, but save you many thousands.
Contact your bank.
Contact your credit card company.
Above all, contact the FTC with any info you have about them, and contact the IRS asking for a fraud letter.
I would also spring for an Identity protection service. (My info got hacked 5 different times through no fault of mine, so I monitor it like a hawk.)

If you didn't give any info, good for you, that makes it better. Be aware that if you did give them anything you may start getting more scam calls. I'm so sorry, but that's true. (It happened to my mom.)

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 88

You know, some of us are here trying to protect our loved ones from being hurt. You know perfectly well that complaining about an AARP article is not a scam. YOU are getting in the way of us trying to figure out how to help our families on this scam related page, but instead you are whining and complaining instead of reporting a link that doesn't work. Does that make YOU a scammer? No, it makes you mean or lazy. But it doesn't make you a scammer.

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 88

Here is the scam:  https://www.aarp.org/money/budgeting-saving/info-2014/can-this-be-used-reused-quiz.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-...

It just doesn't work.  Pleassew add this to your list of scams.

Info Seeker

Message 7 of 88
WELLS FARGO BANK ATM MALFUNCTION STEALS WELFARE AND DISABILITY MONEY ON 12/2/17! RENT IS NOW OVERDUE, FOOD CANNOT BE PURCHASED, WELLS FARGO HAS NOT RETURNED THE MONEY, NOR WILL THEY EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ATM'S ERROR! Here are the details of Wells Fargo's responses: https://tcom10.wixsite.com/wfargonightmare https://twitter.com/Tcom08740 Please help by retweeeting so that others are made aware and are able to avoid this bank.
Conversationalist

Message 8 of 88

If you did not send them money, do not do anything. Block the call so they cannot contact you and change your e-mail account. If you sent them money, note the day amd time they called and try finding the phone number in your call history. You can ask your phone provider to help. Then, together with the address/way you sent them money, take the information to the police and file a complaint. The police department will guide you to how this complaint is handled.

Thanks for sharing.

Info Seeker

Message 9 of 88

Name: Heather Johsonwall from Humanity of Empowerment, supposedly home office in VA.

Asked for name, date of birth, email, next of kin, place of employment...said she would help get me a Grant from Government, once she had all this information, she started asking for $1000.00 & up for FREE GRANTS. I couldn't find any legit information through BBB, & now I don't know what to do.

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 88

Received a text message from "Chase Bank" telling me my debit card has been frozen due to suspicious activity and I should call a number listed to verify.

Called the number and got a response identical to the legit number.  When the electronic system asked for my SSN I hung up and called the number I had listed for Chase.

Got the same introduction and pressed 0 to get a human.

Explained what had just happened and discovered my Debit Card was not frozen and there had been no activity since the last transaction several days before.

At the suggestion of the Chase Rep I deleted the text message, did not record the requested phone number.

These scammers have duplicated the legitimate Chase phone protocol and are obviously phishing for SSN's.

DO NOT give your SSN to anyone that calls you.  Hang up and call a trusted number to verify who you are speaking to.