Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Conversationalist

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 31 of 82

I sign up with Care for some part time work. I get many strange requests from people claiming to be out of town that want to send me a weeks pay advance to watch their children. Yet they haven't even met me. In some of them, they wanted to send me an over paymet that I was to send to some body. It always came by text message. Every time I called the number it wouldn't work. Be careful.

Report Inappropriate Content
Conversationalist

Message 32 of 82

The other day my cell phone rang and a recorded message came on claiming I can lower my credit card interest rate to 6%. I was suspicious but thought I'd see what it was about. When an Indian accent answered the phone I became increasingly more suspicious. When I asked which credit card is this for, he immediately hung up. He didn't know what credit card I had. He was calling to get one.

Info Seeker

Message 33 of 82

Selling on Craigslist. If you try and sell an item on Craigslist you are likely to get emails or text messages first asking a few simple questions about the item and then claiming they want to buy the item right away but pay with paypal or a cashiers  check because they are out of town or state. These are all scams either they will send a fradulent email claiming that a paypal payment for $400 over your selling price is ready to be claimed just send $400 to release the Paypal payment. (email is not from paypal) or they will send you a cashiers check including an over payment for shipment. They say they will wait on it to be deposited before they ask you to ship them the product. Then they say they changed their mind and will pick the item up and ask you to refund the shipping price. The cashiers check will eventually bounce. Requiring in person pick up and payment in cash will thwart these kinds of scams however they still steal from you by wasting your time..

Info Seeker

Message 34 of 82

Got a phone call from "Unknown Caller" (which is what my caller id showed), the number was 876-788-7915.  Guy identifies himself as Dave Sawyer from Publishers Clearing House; he knows my name and my wife's name and our Zip Code and phone number.  He then proceeds to tell me I've won a 3rd place price in one of their giveaways ($185,000 cash + 2017 Mercedes Benz valued at $125,000).  Then he goes into this rambling spiel about taxes due to the IRS, and they have paid 2% taxes for me and I have 3% taxes I owe, but only 1% has to be paid before the IRS will release authorization to PCH to release my winnings - - so I owe $2,855.15 now.  (They're not very good at math; that's not 1%.)  He then said I should call my wife and tell her the good news; and he will call back in 5 minutes to give me more details.  When he called back, using the same number as before, my caller id showed "Montego Bay, Jamaica".  I did some research online and found this is a scam these people are pulling on older people.  They also have used another Jamaican phone number, 876-472-3689; so if you get a call from either number - - don't give them any personal information about yourself and DON'T send them any money!

Info Seeker

Message 35 of 82

People are signing up to play on Words with Friends and then once you start a game with them they try to chat you up and ask for money.  so sad even fun is not safe 

Info Seeker

Message 36 of 82

I received three calls in the last two days from this number 315-660-6998. It is a recorded message and goes like this( this is officer so in so and you are listed in a lawsuit with the IRS and to call that same number back to prevent this from going to court) and the call ends. You try calling the number back and is been busy. 

Conversationalist

Message 37 of 82

I suspect an e-mail request to receive my order from #amazon.com is a ploy to invite a virus into my computer. I will not open it / them (I get one every week). First of all, I have not ordered anything from Amazon. Secondly, this is not Amazon's contact address. It is HASHTAG-amazon.com, a clever way to open an e-mail account that might fool the greedy, unwary soul on the consumer side of the net. Don't fall for it. Any similar address is not kosher, and should be treated as suspicious. Don't even open them. DELETE immediately. 

Info Seeker

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.A Twist on the Social Security Phishing Scam..."Verifying Info

Message 38 of 82
A Twist on the Social Security Phishing Scam..."Verifying Information" 

Message 1 of 1 (0 Views)

I have recently been reciving calls claiming to be from Medicare and asking for a verification of my information. I ask them, "Why don't you just tell me what information you have and I'll tell you if it's correct or not." This usually gets a response that they can't do that or they don't have it handy. The called ID never says Medicare or anything similar but I would recommend not complying even if it does since Medicare does not do business that way. The phone number sometimes appears as "Invalid Number" or else a personal account which is not toll-free as government numbers typically are. Occasionally I will string the caller along - if I feel like being crotchety - until I then cut in and ask, "Excuse me, Ed - it was Ed wasn't it? ("Ed" often has a very thick Asian or Eastern European accent). To which he/she responds, "Yes sir, what is it?" I then ask, "Does your mother know that your job is stealing money from people over the phone?" Nine out of ten hang up immediately, the cocksure ones typically begin to bluster at which time I hang up. If you are more polite than I am toward petty criminals you can just say at the very beginning, "Send me the information request to the address you have in your computer and I will look at it when the postal service delivers it." Postal fraud will put them in jail, no questions asked and they know that.

Info Seeker

irs scams and computer virus scams

Message 39 of 82

I have received so many phone calls from across the US leaving me voicemails threatening me about my IRS debt and that if I don't call them back,  I will have legal consequences.  In the first place, if you owe the IRS anything you will receive a notice by mail and in order to verify it you give them a call, which I know that mostly everyone knows their number. I have sent these numbers messages stating that unless they want to be on Amercan Greed, they need to stop scamming people.  I also have been getting messages on my computer about viruses.  I made the mistake of calling them a few times, but since I am on a limited budget I told them that I couldn't afford what they were asking. After that experience, I reset my computer a couple of times and I just shut it off when I get a message like that.  It seems to me that they target older people and if you don't have anyone to warn you or if you aren't up-to-date on these scams you will be scammed.  You also need to watch out for those phone calls telling you that you have won a sweepstakes. Don't fall for these calls.  There are too many scammers out there that want to get easy money from anybody. I just don't answer the phone when I see an unknown number, especially when you see some from out of the country, ex: India, Egypt, England.Africa,etc.

Info Seeker

Message 40 of 82

I think that's not true about what Nancy talking about cause there are so many scam on Facebook like that talking about you won a 100,000 and asking you to send money 4 the cause to the ups men to deliver it and when you send that then they ask for more for insurance fee when you pay then they come up with something else that a scam cause you never get the package it's a fraud don't fall for that