Community Manager
Community Manager

Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Spotted a scam?  Tell us about it.  Our scam-tracking map gives you information about the latest scams targeting people in your state.  You’ll also find first-hand accounts from scam-spotters who are sharing their experiences so you know how to protect yourself and your family. Go to the Scam-Taking Map>>

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

Here is one that came to me via email.....what a stupid thing to send anyone!

"

""Your order on Delta.com website is now complete and your credit card has been charged.

Your flight number , seat number and other important details can be found on your ticket, below:

https://www.delta.com/orders/viewTi cketOnline.do?name=xxxxxxxxxx&flight_no=NY1182812134< /span>

To check your flight status , please visit : http://www.delta.com/flightinfo/viewFlightStatusSetup

You can do the check-in online, here: https: //www.delta.com/PCCOciWeb/findBy.action 

Thank you for flying with us

©2017 Delta Air Lines, Inc.    |   Travel may be on other airlines.
Terms and conditions apply to all offers and SkyMiles benefits. See specific offer for details, and visit SkyMiles Membership Guide & Program Rules""

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

A few years back I received a letter in the mail from AT&T. Official looking letterhead with AT&T symbol. Letter instructed me to call regarding a problem with my account.

Something about that letter just didn't seem right. I contacted AT&T through their website. They had no knowledge of any such letter and the name on the letter was not listed as an employee.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Screenshot_20170416-165556.png

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Although probably not considered a scam, but legalized thieves, property management companies should be looked at with a magnifying glass.   Their billing or accounting system lacks up to date or real-time information.  They are always attempting to enforce late fees on bills that have been paid in advance.  In addition to increasing maintenance fees every year, and not working on improving and/or completing projects and hoping that owners will take it upon themselves to do. 

0 Kudos

I have subscribed to a adult dating site called "Ourtime" and have learned to spot men who are scammers who post a fake profile!    Here are s few clues to help you spot a scammer and protect yourself emotionally and perhaps financially.

1.  Most pictures ate very basic and don't include a recognizable background. I.e. Very generic and not recognizeable senery.

2.   Gritty or small pictures.  Also lack pictures that include family and friends.  The pictures can also look like a "catalog" picture. Very posed and polished...appears "not real".

3.   These potential suitors are Widowed.

4.   They have 1 child.

5.    Highly Educated.

6.    Income $100,000. To $150,000.

7.    Very secure and "open to the finding 

Love of his life" ...and his last kiss".

8.    Wants to communicate off the dating 

Site.  Wants your phone number to 

Text or your email address to

Communicate.

9.    Will not talk on the phone....

10.  Always busy or distracted...slow to 

Text, odd hours of texting.   Late 

At night or early in the morning.

11.   Never wants to talk on the phone.

12.  Texting has a lot of errors in 

Grammar. A highly educated person

Who can't spell and Brocken words.

13.    Inconsistencies in messages.  A 

Change in personal stories.

14.    Highlight his/her profile messsage

Copy first 109 words and out it into

Google Search.    You will see that    

Words on the profile are listed as

"Scammer".  (I found 20 men same

Thing in their profile".  Most have    

Warnings.

15.    No Facebook profile, no last name,

No phone calls, inconsistency!   

16.     They say that they are soon going 

To be off the site and need your 

Personal contact info.

i hope this info helps you recognize a scammer.   I can see it immediately and it is very scary on home many ate out their.

These scammers want something g from you.  The want to get into your email and onto your personal info yo get into your banking info and hack your accounts.

Hope this info was helpful and you will protect yourself.  There are real people looking for a relationship...but you need to see how they communicate and respond in your communication!   😊

0 Kudos
Contributor

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@barbarav8009 wrote:

I just feel I want to share this.l recently fell for a scam for face creams to make me look younger of course.  This one used Joanna Gaines saying she was leaving her successful show on HGTV to sell this face cream full time. Other tv people have been used in similar ads.  The fine print says they will send you more face cream every 15 days at a very expensive price until you cancel... but the first supply is free of course!!!.I'm not sure the cream is very good?  maybe it is but it is also very costly compared to what I was using.  When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??

The link below will allow you to down load a sample complaint letter from the federal trade commission.  Use the letter template and ask for a refund. There are no guarantees but it doesn’t cost anything to try.

If the company made deceptive claims about the product it’s possible the FTC would consider that an actionable cause and could pursue a lawsuit against the company.

You’ll just have to visit the web site and decide if you have a reasonable complaint against the company.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/features/feature-0008-getting-your-money-back

You might also contact the consumer protection division of the Attorney Generals office of your state to see if there might be other complaints about the business practices of this company.

Do not feel bad about this one. I did not see the fine print either. I was supposed to be getting free samples. I got super lucky. When they tried to charge my account, my bank asked me if i made the purchase. And since I made no purchase, I said no and the bank stopped the charges. I really love my bank!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"... When I called to cancel and asked if I could send back the unopened shipment as I didn't want it they told me I couldn't do that.  Any suggestions?? and how to get a refund ??...".

Can't you dispute this with your credit card company? It's a publicized scam. But the other part of this is not simply falling for a scam. You purchased something that was expensive without doing any research. You can go online, or  possibly read in Consumer Reports at a library, articles about how face creams work, what might be best for you, compare prices.

It sounds like your issue is not doing due diligence. You'll continue 'falling' for this kind of thing unless you educate yourself. DW and I do not purchase anything without trying to find out something about the product first.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Periodic Contributor

When a call comes in that I do not recognize, I answer and if someone that I never want to hear from again, I block the caller . 

I just received the "Oh Grandma, Help me, I am in trouble" call and since I will never be a Grandma, I gave the young man a reprimanding then blocked call.

Contributor

Mostly I get the "Indian-accented" guy who says my computer has a virus and he will be happy to fix it. I just laught at him and he hangs up.  My mother fell for this twice until I finally convinced her it was a scam.  She was out $400.

Social Butterfly

@JME and @mg91626868

Another comment on ear-piercing noises over the phone...

Agree with JME.

That "whistle" into the phone tactic or the use of a "canned air horn" often results in something called "acute acoustic trauma."  No matter how annoying scam phone calls may be, who really wants to perpetrate a possible lifelong hearing issue on another person as payback?  Hanging up is the simplest remedy and call-blocking, if it's available to you, is the most effective.

Depending on the type person who made the call in the first place, you could end up on the receiving end of just such a call!  Revenge is a powerful motivator for some.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Possibly the best cure-all is keep a handy whistle next to your phone.  "Hey, I was calling to scam this guy and he broke my ear drum."

0 Kudos
Contributor

Unfortunately doing that also hurts my ears.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

This happened recently! A pop up on my computer said I had a virus and to call a number on the screen immediately. I did and the fellow said he was with Microsoft and proceeded to hard sell me on a product to protect all my devices. I'm embarrassed to say I fell for the pitch. Woke up at 3 am thinking oh my god, what have I done. Fortunately my credit union has on line access and I put a stop payment on the check I'd written. Called Microsoft in the morning and the tech said he got several calls every day regarding this particular scam, that Microsoft never communicates in this manner! Thank goodness I caught myself in time! Beware!! 

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Same thing happened to me.  Makes me cringe just to think about it.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I didn't spot the scam. I was scammed!

It was a July 4th weekend and I was doing yard work. A white van pulled into my drive and a man with a chain offered to trim two of my huge trees for $200 cash. He had a young woman with him. I told them I'd go to the bank and get the cash. When I returned, the man was working on the first of the two trees. I offered the woman a soda while we waited. During this time, she told me about the man's anger management issues.

When he was done with the first tree, he said he was done and I owed him the $200. I said, "But you said you would do both trees." He became incredibly angry to the point where I was scared. He kept screaming, "Do you want me to leave my chain saw here as a promise I will come back?" I said, "Yes." That infuriated him. He and the young woman got in their van and drove away.

I had no contract, had no receipt, had half the job done, had all the limbs that he refused to take away, and didn't even think to get his license number. Scammed!

0 Kudos
Contributor

I was just told that a new scam is that the caller will say "can you hear me?" & if you answer yes, the yes reply is recorded with a different leadin  so you've agreed to whatever the answer is attached to. Hang up if this question is posed!

Periodic Contributor

You know, I read your post on the "can you hear me?" thing. Today I listened to myself responding to the conversation on the phone. The "YES" answer is a common thing, and if they wanted to, they can get it out of you easily, at any time. Phone rings: "Hello?" "Is xxxxx your name?" "Yes" Phone rings: "Hello?" "Are you above the age of 50?" "Yes" Pretty much any positive question will result in a "YES" response.
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Well, I’ve got to tell you who:

1. The back brace that I asked for. I don't have a problem.
  2. Reduce my credit card interest rate.  No problem there.
  3. Home security.  Nope.
  4. Microsoft and a computer problem.  Nope.
  5. Miscellaneous donations.  DON'T DO THIS AT ALL!!! (I will explain later)

There is always something, but these 5 are the top of the list.

My general answers to any one of the above is to keep them on the phone for as long as I can. 

The credit card guy called today, and I had him for 30 minutes.  You need to give them the first 8 digits of your credit card (this is the issuing bank) then make up the final 8.  When he says that it doesn't work, I flop a couple of numbers and have him retry.  Indicated to him that I used it yesterday and it worked just fine. What fun.  They eventually hang up.  I love to keep these guys on as long as I can.  I pissed one of these guys off so much, that I got a **bleep** return call on my answering machine.  Sorry but I didn't save it, would have made a nice ringtone.

Computer guy tries to get you to allow him to get control of your computer.  Generally these guys speak broken english, so you can misspell stuff for a while.  Again, fun stuff.  Except for "eventvwr" NEVER type in what they say.  eventvwr is the event viewer on YOUR computer.  It shows all the errors, mostly printing and tracing stuff, my computer currently has over 1500 errors.  These are not a problem and are common errors.  Again, don't type anything they ask you besides "eventvwr".  NOT GOOD.  After a while, when I get bored with them, I ask them for my IP Address, and they immediately hang up.  Microsoft will never contact you.

The donations are the bad ones, they try and get you to commit to a sum, and if they record you, it may bind you to that donation.  I usually say "I don't do solicitations by phone, send me something."  Haven't received anything as of yet.

I'm a systems engineer who has recently retired.  I exercise and work around the house.  These phone calls are an annoyance, but I believe that payback are fun.

The worst one:

I've had a police man call about my wife being in an accident which was her fault.  They gave me the correct address of the hospital and police station.  As a little background, my wife travels to this alternate city every so often, so it got me!  They said that she was texting and hit some pregnant girl who is in critical care.  The sargent said that she was going to be arraigned and I need to send them $1500 for bail.  Luckily they called on my land line, so I called her on my cell phone.  She was at work, perfectly normal.  THIS ONE REALLY PISSED ME OFF.  I went off on the guy, he hung up.  I was shaken pretty much for the rest of the day.  What an **bleep**! This was the worst.

Finally:

NEVER give infomation over the phone.  Even when I have been contacted by my credit card company, I will ask for the reason for the call, thank them, explain the fact that I am not going to give them any information and that "I will call THEM back" and hang up.

I will then get the credit card out and call the number on the back. 

Again, NEVER, NEVER give infomation over the phone.

Contributor

A Twist on the Social Security Phishing Scam..."Verifying Information" 

Message 1 of 1 (0 Views)

I have recently been reciving calls claiming to be from Medicare and asking for a verification of my information. I ask them, "Why don't you just tell me what information you have and I'll tell you if it's correct or not." This usually gets a response that they can't do that or they don't have it handy. The called ID never says Medicare or anything similar but I would recommend not complying even if it does since Medicare does not do business that way. The phone number sometimes appears as "Invalid Number" or else a personal account which is not toll-free as government numbers typically are. Occasionally I will string the caller along - if I feel like being crotchety - until I then cut in and ask, "Excuse me, Ed - it was Ed wasn't it? ("Ed" often has a very thick Asian or Eastern European accent). To which he/she responds, "Yes sir, what is it?" I then ask, "Does your mother know that your job is stealing money from people over the phone?" Nine out of ten hang up immediately, the cocksure ones typically begin to bluster at which time I hang up. If you are more polite than I am toward petty criminals you can just say at the very beginning, "Send me the information request to the address you have in your computer and I will look at it when the postal service delivers it." Postal fraud will put them in jail, no questions asked and they know that.

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

If I am near the phone and the caller ID shows a number that is not familiar, I will either let it ring until the my automatic voice answering kicks in and tells them to leave a message if the call is important. That usually results in no messages. Also, at times I will answer the phone saying (Name of a made up Company) and saying "How may I direct your call"??.....that so far has stopped whoever is calling immediately and the line goes dead. Calls to my number have been cut in half now for sure.

Contributor

Computer internet problems may be of our own making.   When you contact a computer service over the internet and then by phone you just put yourself in the trap.  Then they want permission to install software on your computer so they can "FIX" it.  They show your problem and they need your credit card for a minimal charge.   Now you set your self up for the "FIX" not your computer but YOU and your credit card.   Next they will have you sign the monitor on the line and you just signed a contract,  Little did you know that you may not be able to disable or uninstall the software they installed.   You will be called from area codes you do not recognize because they are coming from other countries.  They will tell you "Your computer has a problem and we need to "FIX" it.   What are they doing?   Copying your data and email addresses.    Sound impossible?   No!  It cost me months of time and money, change email accounts, financial accounts, passwords and loss of friends because of junk sent to them.    Trust only someone you know personally to help you.

Periodic Contributor

BEWARE. If you sold something on eBay, beware of ALL eMails from somebody who says he is the guy who bought your item on eBay, and wants it shipped to a different address than what the order says on Paypal. It is a SCAM to rob you of that product.

First of all, the shipping address he will give you will be a ship forwarding company, to ship forward the your box to an unknown address outside of the USA where there is no legal recourse and no way to catch and arrest the perpetrator. BEWARE.

Regular Contributor

You just can't trust opening e-mails that seem odd. In just the last week, I've gotten emails from "my bank?", E-bay?, and Paypal? - I don't open any of them. I figure if any of these companies really want to talk to me for real, they know my mailing address.

Smiley Happy

Chloe
Social Butterfly

A woman after my own heart!  Chloe...my big issue is phone calls that are unidentified and now I'm getting them on my cell phone.  If you're legitimate, you would identify yourself, leave a detailed message and not call several times a day!

Seriously, I don't answer calls that have no identification.  I allow it to go to message.  The caller must leave a detailed message explaining why he called in the first place and justify the reason why I should return the call.  Friends and relatives won't mind leaving a message.  Telemarketers usually won't because time is money and they must get onto the next call.  Scammers will just continue to call back until they decide you are a lost cause and skip tracers will continue to call and will resort to multiple out-of-state numbers to try to catch you off guard.  Do not answer...even if you are on the "Do Not Call" list they will call you.

I agree with you. Chloe.  If they really want to get in touch with you, they can send you a letter via the USPS, identify themselves and who they're working for and justify the reasons for trying to make contact with you!

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

BEWARE of MIAMI. Dont use a debit card with pin in MIAMI. 8 years ago, I went to Miami for some PRP injections on my knee and some needed rest. Went shopping on the Miami boardwalk and bought some clothes using my debit card. Came home, and a week later, my debit card was charged $1400 for womens shoes in some scuzzy high crime mall 20 miles away.

I am a guy, so it should have been clear to the bank that it was fraud. I buy mens clothing, not womens. Also, I was home in Los Angeles when the charges happened. Dont know how they got my pin. Filed police report, filed fraud report, but still took 2 months to get my money back from the bank.

Periodic Contributor

The IRS scam. Phone call from a guy with an Indian accent. Threatened to come to my house with handcuffs if I didnt pay. Immediately knew it was a scam. Let him talk and gave him bogus answers for about 10 minutes untill he got frustrated and hung up the phone. After that, I blocked the number. 

Week later, got another call from an IRS scammer, similar Indian accent, but from a different number. Did same thing. After giving bogus info, he got frustrated and hung up. Never got another call.

Contributor

I got a call like that.  Said they were from the IRS in Houston.  I then asked why they were calling from a Wisconsin area code.  They hung up.  Aggressive morons.

0 Kudos

I let my answering machine answer all my calls and just ignore the scammers.  I've gotten the IRS call many times and never replied.  I've decided to answer the next time and tell them to come and arrest me because when they send me to federal prison they'll have to provide medical care that I can't afford.  Sadly they haven't called in a while.  Probably have to wait until next tax season.