WATCH VIDEO: Day 5 of Iowa presidential candidate forum with Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Remedy Health Media arthritis publication scam

Message 1 of 95

Thank you so much for the great advice!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 95

If they send you a collections letter send them a "drop dead letter".

It is a letter telling them you do not owe them what they are asking

and that according to the fair credit law they are not to contact you

again about it. 

Somthing like this:

Date:Name of Collection Agency
Mailing Address of Collection AgencyRe: Account Number

To whom it may concern:

I have been contacted by you regarding a debt I allegedly owe.  I dispute the account number referenced above and deny any liability.  Please cancel the account immediately.

Please cease any and all further communication with me regarding this debt immediately.

Under the regulations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act you may not contact me further once I have notified you not to do so.

Sincerely,

Your signature
Your printed name

Send it certified mail. You should not hear from them again.

However if they believe it is a real bill they can file suite and

will have to present you with evidence that you owe the money.

If you get served such a letter indicating they have filed suite

do not ignore it. You must challenge their complaint for which you

should seek legal advice. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 95

Several weeks ago, I received a white paper booklet about arthritis from Remedy Health Media on behalf of University of California--Berkeley. I did not order this booklet and did not want it, so I mailed it back to Remedy Health Media at their return address in Palm Coast, Florida. Since then, I have received two invoices attempting to bill me for the booklet. I am ignoring these invoices as the USPS informs me that unsolicited materials received in the mail can be considered "gifts." Has anyone else had a similar experience of being billed for unsolicited, unwanted material received via US mail, and does anyone have any advice for me? I am concerned that Remedy Health Media may turn this billl over to a collection agency.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. IRS scam.

Message 4 of 95

I love the idea of giving false information. What I did one time is I talked about God, Salvation through Jesus and the importance of pro-life. The caller simply said thank you and hung up. 

But the best response is to simply say, and clearly, "Do not call this number. Take me off your list." Then hang up. The longer you talk and leave the line open, the more points your number gets and the more money they can get for your info. JHU! Just hang up!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 5 of 95

I got an email the other day telling me my Kohls account was blocked looked suspicious so just deleted. It was an obvious phish attempt. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 95

Walmart shopper they send you text then a check which bounces after you do the shop. I will never trust a secret shopper ad again! 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 95

I received a  voice mail from a 917 area code that I  was wanted for crimes that I was involved in.  Deletedcit.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Donation fraud.

Message 8 of 95

My grandfather worked for the Red Cross back in the 50's as their advertising rep. Thought u might enjoy this ad!

1487715_10152454971536110_1736645399_o.jpg

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. FUNERAL HOME

Message 9 of 95

Grandpa has been the victim of many scams and unnecessary purchases costing him big $$$. A Big Funeral company where grandpa had purchased a burial plot (paid over time) convinced him to buy insurance for the purpose of ensuring his burial plot gets paid off in the event he dies b4 the account is settled. And the beneficiary of the insurance policy was the Big Funeral company. This insurance "product" has the effect of making it harder to pay off the original account, thus increasing the likelihood the insurance policy will pay off...to Big Funeral! Warn your older family members of this Big Funeral practice.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it. Donation fraud.

Message 10 of 95

Red Cross has hundreds and hundreds of volunteers. The administrative costs include storage of emergency supplies and training. I see folks ding larger organizations all the time. Now a cancer organization that only spends 4% of the take on research is suspect. (There is one, but you can double check any legitimate charity on Charity Navigator). Most take a reasonable percent to make things happen. Red Cross is reputable, that's why I volunteered there to help with the fire emergency shelter and the fire prevention activities in my town.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors