Take control of your brain health with Staying Sharp! Try it today.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Spotted a scam? Tell us about it.

Message 71 of 96

Although probably not considered a scam, but legalized thieves, property management companies should be looked at with a magnifying glass.   Their billing or accounting system lacks up to date or real-time information.  They are always attempting to enforce late fees on bills that have been paid in advance.  In addition to increasing maintenance fees every year, and not working on improving and/or completing projects and hoping that owners will take it upon themselves to do. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 96

I have subscribed to a adult dating site called "Ourtime" and have learned to spot men who are scammers who post a fake profile!    Here are s few clues to help you spot a scammer and protect yourself emotionally and perhaps financially.

1.  Most pictures ate very basic and don't include a recognizable background. I.e. Very generic and not recognizeable senery.

2.   Gritty or small pictures.  Also lack pictures that include family and friends.  The pictures can also look like a "catalog" picture. Very posed and polished...appears "not real".

3.   These potential suitors are Widowed.

4.   They have 1 child.

5.    Highly Educated.

6.    Income $100,000. To $150,000.

7.    Very secure and "open to the finding 

Love of his life" ...and his last kiss".

8.    Wants to communicate off the dating 

Site.  Wants your phone number to 

Text or your email address to

Communicate.

9.    Will not talk on the phone....

10.  Always busy or distracted...slow to 

Text, odd hours of texting.   Late 

At night or early in the morning.

11.   Never wants to talk on the phone.

12.  Texting has a lot of errors in 

Grammar. A highly educated person

Who can't spell and Brocken words.

13.    Inconsistencies in messages.  A 

Change in personal stories.

14.    Highlight his/her profile messsage

Copy first 109 words and out it into

Google Search.    You will see that    

Words on the profile are listed as

"Scammer".  (I found 20 men same

Thing in their profile".  Most have    

Warnings.

15.    No Facebook profile, no last name,

No phone calls, inconsistency!   

16.     They say that they are soon going 

To be off the site and need your 

Personal contact info.

i hope this info helps you recognize a scammer.   I can see it immediately and it is very scary on home many ate out their.

These scammers want something g from you.  The want to get into your email and onto your personal info yo get into your banking info and hack your accounts.

Hope this info was helpful and you will protect yourself.  There are real people looking for a relationship...but you need to see how they communicate and respond in your communication!   😊

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 96

@JME and @mg91626868

Another comment on ear-piercing noises over the phone...

Agree with JME.

That "whistle" into the phone tactic or the use of a "canned air horn" often results in something called "acute acoustic trauma."  No matter how annoying scam phone calls may be, who really wants to perpetrate a possible lifelong hearing issue on another person as payback?  Hanging up is the simplest remedy and call-blocking, if it's available to you, is the most effective.

Depending on the type person who made the call in the first place, you could end up on the receiving end of just such a call!  Revenge is a powerful motivator for some.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 74 of 96

When a call comes in that I do not recognize, I answer and if someone that I never want to hear from again, I block the caller . 

I just received the "Oh Grandma, Help me, I am in trouble" call and since I will never be a Grandma, I gave the young man a reprimanding then blocked call.

Kudos
Views
JME
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 96
Unfortunately doing that also hurts my ears.
Kudos
Views
JME
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 96

Mostly I get the "Indian-accented" guy who says my computer has a virus and he will be happy to fix it. I just laught at him and he hangs up.  My mother fell for this twice until I finally convinced her it was a scam.  She was out $400.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 96

Same thing happened to me.  Makes me cringe just to think about it.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 96

Possibly the best cure-all is keep a handy whistle next to your phone.  "Hey, I was calling to scam this guy and he broke my ear drum."

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 96

This happened recently! A pop up on my computer said I had a virus and to call a number on the screen immediately. I did and the fellow said he was with Microsoft and proceeded to hard sell me on a product to protect all my devices. I'm embarrassed to say I fell for the pitch. Woke up at 3 am thinking oh my god, what have I done. Fortunately my credit union has on line access and I put a stop payment on the check I'd written. Called Microsoft in the morning and the tech said he got several calls every day regarding this particular scam, that Microsoft never communicates in this manner! Thank goodness I caught myself in time! Beware!! 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 96

I didn't spot the scam. I was scammed!

It was a July 4th weekend and I was doing yard work. A white van pulled into my drive and a man with a chain offered to trim two of my huge trees for $200 cash. He had a young woman with him. I told them I'd go to the bank and get the cash. When I returned, the man was working on the first of the two trees. I offered the woman a soda while we waited. During this time, she told me about the man's anger management issues.

When he was done with the first tree, he said he was done and I owed him the $200. I said, "But you said you would do both trees." He became incredibly angry to the point where I was scared. He kept screaming, "Do you want me to leave my chain saw here as a promise I will come back?" I said, "Yes." That infuriated him. He and the young woman got in their van and drove away.

I had no contract, had no receipt, had half the job done, had all the limbs that he refused to take away, and didn't even think to get his license number. Scammed!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!