It’s Brain Health Awareness Month! Check out Staying Sharp and its new features designed to support brain health.

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Secret shopper scam

Message 11 of 12

Good for you! Great catch!

I "secret" "mystery" shopped for years and state-by-state is important.

For example, I shopped in Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and California with "gold" ratings (MSRP standards).

Then in NV found there were licensing requirements including working for licensed PI...

Fully investigate; great opportunity but be careful.

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Secret shopper scam

Message 12 of 12

I was recently sent an email invitation to become a secret shopper for Kroger Food Stores. I had known a little about these scams so I applied and later received a text message with a "contact" person's name and email address and a cell phone number with a local area code. A few days lateral I received a FedEx package with instructions on what to do and a check for $2500. I was instructed to deposit the money, then purchase "x" amount of gift cards from different Kroger stores; the rest of the money I was to keep for myself.

I grew more and more suspicious and eventually sentbeverything to the Attorney General of the State of Pennsylvania (where I reside) and was told that it was, indeed, a scam and was thanked for contacting them. Beware of the secret shopper emails.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!