Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Scam on Instagram

Message 1 of 2

vienneau63 wrote:

A person faked identity of a well known pastor. They asked for prayer requests. I told them about my brother who has cancer in end stages. They replied that my brother would be ok IF I "sowed seed" for a child in an orphanage in UK. Then asked for credit card. I told them I only have debit card. Then, they told me to get help to send money.

That actual pastor would never ask for money.

They even had 2 pics of the pastor and one of the church.

I thank God I thought it must be a scam.

@vienneau63  I'm glad you saw through this scam.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Scam on Instagram

Message 2 of 2

A person faked identity of a well known pastor. They asked for prayer requests. I told them about my brother who has cancer in end stages. They replied that my brother would be ok IF I "sowed seed" for a child in an orphanage in UK. Then asked for credit card. I told them I only have debit card. Then, they told me to get help to send money.

That actual pastor would never ask for money.

They even had 2 pics of the pastor and one of the church.

I thank God I thought it must be a scam.

Report Inappropriate Content
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.