Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Same Membership, Different Prices

Message 11 of 14

I, too, received a special rate invitation but I called AARP Customer Service and negotiated a much lower rate than either of the two posters paid here. You should call subscriptions like this, your cable company, your newspaper, your cell provider, and others because almost all will negotiate a lower price than even the lowest "public" price. I had a problem with AARP Customer Service sending me a receipt but it was resolved. The resolution included an extra 5 months added to my lowest priced membership.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker +

Re: Same Membership, Different Prices

Message 12 of 14
My AARP membership was due to expire this year (November 2014).  Two months ago I sent them a $49 check for the 5 year special renewal offer that I received in the mail from their Chief Executive Officer (Addison Barry Rand).  Instead of extending my membership to November 2019, AARP sent me new membership cards which were only valid to April 2018.  I sent AARP Membership an e-mail notifying them that I was shorted by 19 months.  "Siva" from Member Communications responded that my membership would be extended to November 2019.  However, they just sent me new membership cards valid to September 2019, which is still 2 months short.  My advice: if you take their offer, keep a copy of all their correspondence and any payments you make to them.
Info Seeker

Same Membership, Different Prices

Message 13 of 14
I too received AARP renewal notices a year before my membership was due to expire. Most of the time I put them in the recycle bin. Since I knew my membership expired in March, I opened the latest mailing because of the message of the envelope: NOTICE: Your Membership Options Have Changed.

Inside I find a "Renewal Confirmation" form with two membership options:
- Basic Membership (5 years @ $49)
- Stay Sharp Membership (5 years @ $55)

Both rates are lower than the price on the AARP website (5 years @$63)

I also found it strange that the ONLY way you can pay for these reduced price offers is to mail a check or money order along with the special form.

Has anyone else received this offer? Is it legitimate?  Why can't I find these options online? Is AARP practicing price differentiation and product differentiation?

Info Seeker

Same Membership, Different Prices

Message 13 of 14
I too received AARP renewal notices a year before my membership was due to expire. Most of the time I put them in the recycle bin. Since I knew my membership expired in March, I opened the latest mailing because of the message of the envelope: NOTICE: Your Membership Options Have Changed.

Inside I find a "Renewal Confirmation" form with two membership options:
- Basic Membership (5 years @ $49)
- Stay Sharp Membership (5 years @ $55)

Both rates are lower than the price on the AARP website (5 years @$63)

I also found it strange that the ONLY way you can pay for these reduced price offers is to mail a check or money order along with the special form.

Has anyone else received this offer? Is it legitimate?  Why can't I find these options online? Is AARP practicing price differentiation and product differentiation?

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.