Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: Same Membership, Different Prices

Message 1 of 21

Our standard membership dues are $16 for 1 year, $43 for 3 years or $63 for 5 years. However, we do make special offers available from time to time to attract new or to retain existing members.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

@s369845b wrote:
What is a "Stay Sharp" membership? Can someone tell me how much you were quoted for a 10 year membership? And the lowest I've seen for 5 year is $49 - did anyone get a lower offer?

I've gotten $31.00 for five years.

I had it for the last five years and have gotten it again for the next five years.

I suggest that anyone with any type of subscription call the customer service of that subscription and NEGOTIATE.

I get my newspaper, satellite radio, magazines, and cable for A LOT less than advertised prices.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

Had to call in and asked if there were any specials. The person was very helpful and let me know they have an "Early Bird" special of $49 for 5 years if you renew early.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

FWIW I called in, they honored the $49/5 year offer, and took my credit card as payment. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

Same here.  I just got online to renew and not same rates.  I do not mail checks either

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

I too received a snail mail offer of 5 years for $49.  Unfortunately, this offer requires that a check or money order be mailed.  No credit cards, no online enrollment possible.  In this age of fraud, I refuse to do business with anyone who cannot accept credit cards, giving me the protection to charge back anything that isn't delivered as promised.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

Yeah, we just received this as well. Our membership expires in November 2018, but they sent us new cards with a note saying they're only valid if we pay our renewal now. As someone else said, keep your correspondence, I don't think the left hand often knows what the right hand is doing.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

It is quite clear that AARP farms out its renewal function to various vendors who endeavor to get the renewal money in as early as possible so AARP can earn interest on it, or perhaps they can hold it for a while earning interest.  Usually, I start getting these offers about eight months before my renewal date.  There is always a gift involved (insulated bags ... I have two of them, and now a luggage organizer). They probably have found that this is a less costly way of handling renewals than setting up their own department to do it.  The mail looks like it comes from AARP but I bet it doesn't.  Anyhow, I'll bite on the latest one I received since my renewal is due less than 60 days from now.  (I always go for the one year deal because at my age, who knows what the future holds.)

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21
I too was asked to pay $63 for membership renewal; I don't recall 1 or 2 year.
Both my wife and I have cards & have only been new members this past year
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

I was told on the phone that the prices vary, but you can keep calling to see if a deal has come up.

So, your mileage will vary.

I was quoted $49 for five year, $82 for ten year, and $xxx (can't remember) for lifetime. I was told I called at a good time during good deals (which is either true because I found the renewal prices fine, or maybe it was to get me to pick one.)

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!