Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Police Scammers

Message 1 of 2

Lois,

You just found out the hard way that no caller asking you for money or your personal information is legitimate. The people calling you out of the blue are not your friends. Hang up! If you do suspect it might be legitimate, look up the proper number for that organization and call them back.

I don't answer the calls in the first place. I can set my cell phone with ring tones that let me know just by the ring who is calling me. I have a different one for each of my family, another one that I use for anything medical (doctors, dentists, or hospitals who might call me). I have another ring tone (Road Runner cartoon theme song) that sounds off for anybody I don't know, so I know just from the sound that I can let my voice mail take a message for me to review later if I hear Road Runner.

Also, if I look at my Caller ID, I can tell if it's a familiar caller. If I don't immediately know the number, I also let the call go to my voice mail. I do not answer the call.

Any call I let go to my voice mail lets me review the call, later. If it's a legitimate call, I can call that person back after I have checked for the proper number for the business. If it's a scam, that caller likely won't leave a message.

If you don't have these services on your phone, you need to add them or get a line that has them. As you've seen, these screening functions can pay for themselves even if you have to pay extra to add them to your line.

If you need help deciding on how to add these or change to a different phone service, ask friends for advice on what you need. Those who know you might be able to help you determine what's best for the way you use a phone.

Good luck going forward and Merry Christmas!

By the way: If the cops want you, they won't call to ask for a bond. They will probably stop at your house and knock on your door. If they call you at all, they will just ask you to see them at the police station about the matter. They would not ask you for anything over the phone.

IMPORTANT: Even if you get such a call and they ask you for anything more than "Is this Lois?" do not give them any of your information, such as birth date or social security number. They'd really have you if you give those to them. Just hang up!

Enjoy!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Police Scammers

Message 2 of 2

I fell for the scam of a so called police officer calling using spoofed number from Waynesville Police Department threatening to arrest me if I didn't send them cash "bond" then come to police station to verify signature wasn't mine so that I would immediately get my money back in form of check made out to me. I was so scared and upset I didn't realize I was being scammed until I had already sent them $5000. The cash cards customer service was no help. the automated help lines are no help. The police took the report but did not indicate there was anything they would be able to do to get my money back. PLEASE I wish I had taken your course on how to avoid scams I would never have fallen for this. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors