Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Phone call regarding Computer Repair

Message 1 of 2

Jopes13 wrote:

I

This is why we monitor our calls and have them go through the answering machine.  It makes it so much easier to report SCAMMERS

Don't just depend on your caller ID on the answering machine. Real savvy scammers have hijacked legitimate numbers so that they show up on your caller ID. For example, the IRS scam(where they are getting ready to prosecute you unless you send money via cash cards) may actually show up as an IRS phone number.......... except IRS will neither call you nor will they ask for payment with a cash card.

So... beware....even if it seems like it is a legitimate number.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Phone call regarding Computer Repair

Message 2 of 2

I got this call both on 9/15/17 and 9/18/17.  The messages were left on my answering machine.  The one on the 18th was more complete.  It starts out in a female computer voice stating, 

‘Do Not Hang Up.  You have paid for your computer technical support few months ago.  We are calling to refund your money as the company has been ordered to close down.  Please call our toll free number 888-608-6976 to get your refund.  Repeating again, 888-608-6976.’

I did a search on the number and it is a SCAM.  I have reported this to my local county senior services office.  And to www.donotcall.gov.

This is why we monitor our calls and have them go through the answering machine.  It makes it so much easier to report SCAMMERS

Report Inappropriate Content