Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Phone Scams

Message 11 of 12

I have to ask. I thought caller id was pretty standard in that virtually everyone has it. Am I wrong? DW and I get at least 3-4 calls a day from unknown numbers. We don't pick them up. We look at the number on caller id and if we don't recognize it, we don't answer. Once in a while, it will be someone who has a number we don't know. If so, they will leave a message.

Do people not have caller id, or is there some compunction to pick up a ringing phone?

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Phone Scams

Message 12 of 12

So I just received a telephone call from a gentleman who claimed to be conducting a survey on behalf of our internet service provider.

I asked for his name and number so I could call him back, and he declined. ("Well, but I'll be on the phone all day", he said. "Hmpf", said I.)

I then contacted our ISP and they said they have no such ongoing survey and would never conduct a telephone survey. 

Now, maybe this is just a competitor looking to see how happy folks are out here in the boondocks or maybe this was a phishing operation.

The point is this: protect yourself.

If someone calls you from out of the blue, claiming to rep this, that or some other company with which you do business, be suspicious. Get their name and phone number before answering question one. Then call the company --NOT the phone number you were given by the caller-- and verify the legitimacy of the call.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies