Protect your digital identity with AARP’s fraud resource center. Try it today!

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Phone Scams

Message 1 of 12

Says Soc Sec. 201-297-5554 as of. Oct 8 2018

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

I got the same kind of robo call. It went into my voicemail so I have the recording. I called them back and told them I knew Social Security does not makes these kinds of calls and that I was going to report the number to the police. They hung up on me.

The phone number is 

855-412-0222

Another number was also 

855-582-2663

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

I just had a phone call requesting that I have to call back to avoid legal proceedings against me. It sounded like a robot voice. Phone number was from 1-833- 778-7338. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

People have caller id but sometimes you just answer the phone without looking. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

I  get all kind of calls.  Yesterday, the Indian accent gentlemen said I was due a $150.00 refund.  I really could not understand his English.  He told me to get on the computer and he tell me how I could get my refund back for the overcharge.(Funny think I was on the computer and turned it off)  At the same time I told him to mail me my check and I hung up.

I just hang up.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12
I get Robocalls, Individuals with on first name based on information about medical malpractice monies and the name of the body part where there are malpractice.charities. Sometimes, the calling has an Indian accent.There are other calls, about Home security and fix your credit; sometimes female voice representing their names. I have dial *69 to trace the number and them down. After a while it gets tiresome. Now I just hang-up.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

yes me and my wife have been gettingfraud phone calls during the day and night.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

@de8960 wrote:

I will not talk to anyone about surveys, charities, or any thing else.  If I get a Robo call, which is illegal, it is an automatic red flag that it is a scam.  I hang up on on them.  I hang up on most everyone.  

@de8960 I got a huge belly laugh out of your last line. (Me, I usually just let the phone ring. I don't care who they are, if they knew me they'd email. Smiley Happy)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

I will not talk to anyone about surveys, charities, or any thing else.  If I get a Robo call, which is illegal, it is an automatic red flag that it is a scam.  I hang up on on them.  I hang up on most everyone.  

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12

@retiredtraveler wrote:

I have to ask. I thought caller id was pretty standard in that virtually everyone has it. Am I wrong? DW and I get at least 3-4 calls a day from unknown numbers. We don't pick them up. We look at the number on caller id and if we don't recognize it, we don't answer. Once in a while, it will be someone who has a number we don't know. If so, they will leave a message.

Do people not have caller id, or is there some compunction to pick up a ringing phone?

I cannot speak for anyone else, but we do not have caller ID. We have an unlisted phone and are on the do not call list, though. Our home phone rarely rings and when it does, unless I'm expecting a call, I ignore it. We've been working with Senior Games organizations in 7 states, so I thought perhaps there was an urgent development. Heh: no such luck.

I will say this, though: fraud prevention organizations apparently do not think caller ID is as pervasive as all that, for they instruct people to do exactly what I did. I've read that directive over and over again on this site as well as others. FWIW and all.  

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views