Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Contributor

Phishing email after joining AARP

Having worked in IT for 40 years, ending my career as director of application security.

It's suspect that very shortly after joining AARP I'm getting 6+ phishing emails each day. 

They appear as Norton, FedEx, Ace, ect.. Any one else have this same experience? 

Yes! It's infuriating.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Also spent many years in IT @AppSecGuy .  Paradoxically more than half of hacking is Social Engineering not Techie coding, hardware and wonder tricks.  That means the exchange of specific info. that seems relevent to mitigating their efforts can also play into their hands.  In general, confirm your experience, but there has also been an up-tick on other email addrresses.  Hopefully this article will bolster your resolve to remain vigilant...besides FBI gave it a pretty good name.

Operation Cookie Monster 

Yes!  About once a month I get an email from Norton saying that $100+ will be billed to my credit card THAT DAY.  Of course I know it's a scam/phishing but I resent it.  AARP has to be the connection.  Naturally I block each email, but they keep coming back.  I want nothing to do with Norton.

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

I’m probably getting that many, but I was getting just as many before I retired. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Bubble Shooter and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP