Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families was developed by AARP to help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to obtain a free copy.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: PayPal + Microsoft Scam

Message 1 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

PayPal isn't any more immune from having "data breaches," than all these other mega companies have!

This is absolutely true. We quit using PayPal after twice having our card numbers stolen. I made one purchase, and immediately after, my card was used elsewhere. The same thing happened to my husband. We reported the bogus charges and our CC companies immediately canceled and reissued new cards. We have not used PayPal since, and I will not recommend them.

What I do recommend when making online purchases is this: Do not check the box to save your CC info in your account. Always put the number in yourself or check out as guest. If you need the convenience of repeat orders, your bank may have a check-out tool that works similar to PayPal to protect your account.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7

Additional thought: it isn't just mega companies that are at risk.

Smaller companies are less likely to spend the resources to keep software patched and they are less likely to have hired top notch engineers to write any custom code they employ at their site, so they, too, represent a risk of your sensitive information, though perhaps they are not as profitable a target as the mega-corps.

Still, one risk is better than 12, or so I think.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

That's true, however if one uses PayPal rather than input one's credit card data at whatever number of sites one purchases from, then there is significant reduced risk of your data being in a breach.

Paying through PayPal=one breach risk

Paying with credit card at 12 sites=12 breach risks. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

PayPal isn't any more immune from having "data breaches," than all these other mega companies have!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

@ASTRAEA wrote:

Many organizations now allow you to pay membership & for events online, "using PayPal". But when you get to that point, you can use a regular credit card instead. A screen usually pops up asking if you'd like to create a PayPal account, but you can decline the offer .. which I always do. I don't see any benefit in having a PayPal account. Anyone know if/what the benefits are?

Yes.

When using a PayPal account to pay for something, you do not expose your credit card or banking information to that organization. Your data is held by PayPal, and not disclosed to the payment recipient. So it is a safer way to make payments online. I use it all the time.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7

Many organizations now allow you to pay membership & for events online, "using PayPal". But when you get to that point, you can use a regular credit card instead. A screen usually pops up asking if you'd like to create a PayPal account, but you can decline the offer .. which I always do. I don't see any benefit in having a PayPal account. Anyone know if/what the benefits are?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

PayPal + Microsoft Scam

Message 7 of 7

Received on 5/26/2017:

Apparently a new scam coming as a spoof from PayPal and involving Microsoft.  

This is a hoax...do not be taken in!  See text of message below:

Your preapproved payment with Microsoft Corporation

Xxxxx Xxxxxxx,

On 04/01/2017, you agreed to use PayPal for all future transactions with Microsoft Corporation. Due to a technical issue, important information about this agreement may not have been shown to you. We want to make sure you are aware of how Preapproved Payments (also known as billing agreements) work.

At the time of creating the billing agreement, you chose a payment method within your PayPal account that you want to use for all future payments with this Merchant. However, it is important to understand that if you have a balance in your PayPal account, your balance will be used first for the payment, and if it is not enough to fully cover the transaction, the remainder will use the payment method you selected when creating the agreement.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!