Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Online Romance Scams

Message 11 of 13

Forgive me for being this blunt, but it really takes a fool to give money to someone they've never met in real life! Even if I met someone IRL, I wouldn't be inclined to give them large sums of money like that, no matter what the reason. At this point in life, I'd be looking for someone who'd enhance my life, not be a "project" to be fixing & bailing out of problems.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Online Romance Scams

Message 12 of 13
I think a sad thing happened when AARP allowed a dating site to take over a community group. They are supposed to represent seniors in a positive way. Instead, they put some in a situation just like what your topic addresses. I did not join, but heard some stories about some who did. All of these dating sites have scam artists and shame on any group, especially one who is supposed to watch the welfare of seniors and then put that at risk.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Online Romance Scams

Message 13 of 13

AARP's new 12-week podcast series The Perfect Scam, hosted by Will Johnson, former Discovery Channel podcast host/producer and leading fraud expert and AARP Fraud Watch Network Ambassador Frank Abagnale, profiles America's biggest scams through personal stories of scam victims and their families as well as interviews with professional con artists and leading experts on scams and fraud. Hear about how these scams happen and how to avoid them from those who know best.

This week's episode explores another online romance scam. Listen here and let us know what you think.

Have you or someone you know been a victim of this scam? Share your stories and any tips you have with us.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!