Hundreds of Member Benefits. One Convenient Place to Explore Them. Check it Out!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Microsoft Windows Telephone Scam

Message 1 of 2

This scam and the other scam where the caller says they are from the Microsoft office and a virus has been detected on your computer and they can fix it..... these two scams have been around so long they have grey hair.

When I get a call from them, I play real real stupid and keep them on the line answering inane questions until they figure out that I am messing with them, they curse me out, and hang up on me.

These calls usually emanate from a particular country and it is interesting to hear curse words in another language.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Microsoft Windows Telephone Scam

Message 2 of 2

I received a phone call indicating that the Microsoft Windows license on my computer had expired and that I needed to call to get it renewed.  The message indicated that Microsoft Windows had been shut down on my computer (which is not true).  I have verified through two different sources that this software has a perpetual license that does not require renewal.  I was provided with two different phone numbers to contact, but no company :  1-844-271-5745 and 1-844-661-5499.  I have not contacted either of these numbers and do not intend to.  I am providing this information so it can be available to others who may not be knowledgeable about technology.

Report Inappropriate Content
Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.