Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Is it legal for state legislatures to pass laws allowing people to take money from others?

Contributor

Is it legal for state legislatures to pass laws allowing people to take money from others?

Is it legal for the legislature to pass a law that allows a city to take money from workers that no longer work in that city? (See Below)
If I did that wouldn't it be called fraud or robbery?

I've been working from home since 3/13. Our company does not want us returning to our offices unless we have to. I'm 65 years old, type 2 diabetic, and I had a heart attach 2 years ago. So, I may be a out for a while. My employer doesn't want me to return until I feel safe. . Cities are permitted to take money for their city services, but they won't provide the services where we work, outside the city. 

My employer closed our location and moved the operation to another building.

Can a class action lawsuit be filed seeking recovery, for all of us working from home?
Can the law be changed?

I have contacted my state representative, US representative, an attorney that has helped me in the past, and the local news media. None of them has responded back?

Thank you for your time.
[private email address removed for privacy and safety reasons]

The City of Blue Ash Income Tax Office has received many questions in regard to the withholding of Blue Ash City taxes while employees shelter in place outside the City and work remotely.  Due to COVID-19, Ohio House Bill 197 was passed which provides the following:

Am. Sub. H. B. No. 197 Page 734

Section 29. Notwithstanding section 718.011 of the Revised Code, and for the purposes of Chapter 718. of the Revised Code, during the period of the emergency declared by Executive Order 2020-01D, issued on March 9, 2020, and for thirty days after the conclusion of that period, any day on which an employee performs personal services at a location, including the employee's home, to which the employee is required to report for employment duties because of the declaration shall be deemed to be a day performing personal services at the employee's principal place of work.

Therefore, please continue to withhold the City of Blue Ash income tax during this emergency and 30 days thereafter. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Blue Ash Tax Office

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

YES and it may not just be a local taxing office that reaffirms this type of taxation.  It could also be from state to state.  Say your employer is located in one state and because you are working remotely, your work area maybe then located across a state line..  It could also be that the jurisdiction where you are working remotely might also want a piece of the action too.

All of it just depends on the laws in the state/locality as who is applicable to pay the (whatever) tax.

Yes, I would imagine that many jurisdictions are passing legislation like the one you mentioned to help keep their tax base.

Keep in mind that businesses and people pay all kinds of taxes everyday in areas where they may never get any benefit from the taxes being collected - this is just another one.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP