Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Is Public Wi-Fi Safe?

Message 1 of 5

@GailL1  Could not agree with you more.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@Epster wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

In many senior complexes, Wi-Fi is provided.

Would you consider that, pubic or private?

@GailL1  I'd look upon that as public.

Me too, but many of those seniors don't think twice about doing their banking online or buying something with a credit card or worse yet,mother debit card.

These complexes need to give instructions about signing up for a VPN and/or restricting access unless they get one. 

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@GailL1 wrote:

@GailL1  I'd look upon that as public.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

MY SIGNATURE: "It’s Always something" - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

Is Public Wi-Fi Safe?

Message 5 of 5

Free public Wi-Fi, available at places like airports and coffee shops, are convenient, but can be risky.

How It Works:

Scammers monitor commonly used Wi-Fi network names, and set up their own “evil twin” access points in hopes your computer or device will automatically connect to it without your consent. Or they launch a “man in the middle” attack, by hacking in between you and your Wi-Fi connection. Their goal? To grab your emails, credit card numbers, and passwords.

What You Should Know:

Any data you send over free public Wi-Fi is vulnerable, so be thoughtful about how you use it.

What You Should Do:

• Ask an employee at the location offering free public Wi-Fi for the name of the network. Don’t just assume that “free airport Wi-Fi” is a legitimate wireless network; it could have been set up by a hacker to trick you into connecting.
  • Stick to browsing the web, checking news, weather, or traffic when on public Wi-Fi. 
  • Avoid online banking, checking emails, making credit card purchases or even posting on social media on public Wi-Fi.
  • Check your device’s settings to make sure it doesn’t automatically connect to any free public Wi-Fi that you’re in range of.
  • If you find you use public Wi-Fi regularly, play it safe and sign up for a Virtual Private Network (VPN) that keeps your data secure.  Some are free, while others charge a subscription.  

Do you use free Wi-Fi when it's available?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors