Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Hydes Air Conditioning - Palm Springs, CA

Message 1 of 5

I hate to say this but $165 for a capacitor is not bad.  Typical cost is closer to $400 - yes, for the same $38 part!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Hydes Air Conditioning

Message 2 of 5

Thank you for telling me about the location issue. I've changed the headder to Hydes Air Conditioning - Palm Springs, CA

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

Is this the Hyde's Air Conditioning in Indio, California? I think so. At first, from your "NJ" name I thought it was in New Jersey.

I don't have a dawg in this fight none, but I gotta say, first, if you're calling out a company at least let people know where it's at so that they don't go calling them.

So I find the Hyde's in California using Google. Now, Google provides a way for people to review companies and businesses. Who knows, maybe half of them are fake. Like it seems a lot of reviews on Amazon may be. Anyway, so this Hyde's in Indio has well over 1,100 reviews extending back several years. I know that that is a LOT of reviews for a local business. Sometimes I think these businesses have their friends and family sort of prime the pump. But I seriously doubt that over 1,100 reviews will contain many fakes, that is just too many. And they get around like 4.5 stars out of 5, that is pretty darn high. Again, almost suspiciously high for a service type business. But I've paged through a lot of the reviews and they do not strike me as being suspicious.

Yes, they charged you a lot of dough for changing out a low cost part. But how did they know that was the bad part? Being an HVAC tech requires schooling, education, and licensing, like being a licensed plumber or electrician. So your tech had to do the investigation (taking time) to find what the fault was. The company also has overhead of trucks, a shop, a warehouse, a front office (they have a very nice website, must be a large business...though family owned), tools and equipment. This all has to be covered by their fees.

My dad always told the tale (I believe true) of taking his Studebaker to the garage around 1958 (I was 6) and the guy adjusted the carburetor with a special tool, dad couldn't get to the adjustments with his screwdriver. My dad sqwauked at the seemingly high price he was charged and he complained. The guy said "well, do you have the special tool? Do you want me to go turn it back?". Dad learned his lesson on that battle.

Now my local air con guys, here in Florida. I have learned. I take the "service subscription" route. I pay the annual fee, which is reasonable, and get two maintenance calls per year, plus expedited service if needed, as well as discounts on parts and overtime charges. Living where we do I do not want to be without air con!

Good luck in future!

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

That mark-up seems high.

If you have a local consumer protection office, they are a big help. Some states do that work in their attorney generals office, too.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Hydes Air Conditioning - Palm Springs, CA

Message 5 of 5

I have been using this company since 2015 and was very satisfied with their service until now. Their overcharge on parts is unbelievable. I am disputing my service contract with them now. I suggest you look elsewhere for service. They charged me $165.00 for a capacitor you can buy for $38.00 and watch several videos on YouTube at how simple they are to install. BTW the price for the capacitor was $194.00 before my discount. I am 81 and I feel like I’ve been ripped off as a senior, I hope they are not taking advantage of elderly people. I am going to contact AARP & BBB and give my review about this company.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors