Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Info Seeker

Re: Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam?

Message 31 of 39 (2,828 Views)

I got in a serius scam a little over a year ago. My 401k I had at my work really didn't seem to be making much money at all. I went looking for a new place to move my money and found out about Binary options. I tried it a little bit trying to learn how on my own but never could get the hang of it and lost as much as I gained. Then I was contacted by a guy that told me I needed to try the company he uses. The only catch was the hedge fund manager that he used only worked with balances over $100,000.00. A little scary to say the least. And the money had to deposited in a foreign back in Hong Kong. So I talked to the guy and was able to get him to show me what he could do starting out somewhat smaller. So he agreed to take $75,000 to start with and show what he could do for me. I watched my account on line and over a 4 month period he gained a little over $7000.00. Almost 10% in only 4 months. He told me that he had learned to trade this market at the right time and could do that consistantly. We set up a contract that he could gained me at least 4 to 5% each month and never put over 20% at risk at any one time. Well,  much to my bank's reluctance, I transferred the rest of my $200,000.00 total over there to him, $130,000.00 more. Things went great for a few more months and he did some good gains. Then all of a sudden he set up long term trades for 99% of my account to not end for 6 months. He traded that this particular stock would go down over the next few months and I win win a whopping 80% earnings. Needless to say, it turned out to be a scam that just took a while longer to close but I lost all of my $200,000.00. The website is closed and the email contacts and the phone numbers have all been disconnected. I learned a valuable lesson but now without my $200,000.00. I hope no one else ever gets caught up in the binary option trades. They will scam you. I hope everyone listens. The company I dealt with was Optinvestments.com. But no matter, please stay away from binary options.

Info Seeker

Message 32 of 39 (2,625 Views)

I have never been scammed, but I've had been tempted hundreds of times. The only problem THEY have, I'm onto them. I get e-mail from someone in Benin, Africa, or some place like that, telling me that they  have 2,000,000 dollars or more that they want me to have, but they want money to release it. All I would like to do to them, is email back and tell them: Go to H--l!!!! If I respond,then I'm in trouble. The email that I get, don't even have my name or e-mail address.The calls I get are for various information and I get them daily. Sometimes it's some asking me if I want further my education. I ask them their age and since I'm almost 80 years old, I tell them "I don't need any more education and I know more than you do". Then I hear a click. (they hung up) They can call me any time, but they must be prepared to something they won't like, maybe I'll read the Bible to them. It's called PREACHING, so be it,(AMEN)

Conversationalist

Message 33 of 39 (1,952 Views)
These calls were also supposed to be from the IRS.
Conversationalist

Message 34 of 39 (1,814 Views)
I have received a few calls from a 505-258-6981 telephone number recently on more than one occasion. I will invite them to dinner on the next call!!!!
Info Seeker

Message 35 of 39 (1,841 Views)
We too received the IRS call with the threat of prosecution and jail if we did not call back. After approximately 3 months of those they stopped. Now we are receiving the calls about having to appear in front of a grand jury for some outstanding legal situation that I supposedly was involved with. They too stated that if I failed to call back the number the justice department would have me arrested. These just started and we proved that this too is a scam. They are just plan annoying.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 39 (1,913 Views)

@retiredtraveler - I recently posted that I attended a program on scams & frauds recently, and asked the expert if I "didn't meet some threshhold" or it was random, that so many other participants get calls like that regularly .. but I don't. He said it was just random, and that I should be grateful! Smiley Happy

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 39 (1,859 Views)

"...I've never even been e-mailed or phoned with a scam, but I'm not particularly susceptible either....".

You've missed the fun. We been called three times over the past several years and informed that if we didn't call the number back, which was the IRS, the black helicopters were coming and we were gong to jail.

And, apparently, I have outstanding warrants and the cops are only one step behind in taking me to jail, unless I call the number.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 39 (1,771 Views)

While both of my major credit cards had fraudulent charges a few years ago, the CC company caught them & I got new cards.

I've never even been e-mailed or phoned with a scam, but I'm not particularly susceptible either. I have no close relatives who'd reach out to me to "bail them out" while traveling, I have no delusions of 3rd world royalty needing my help to extract fortunes from their homelands, I don't enter contests so no one will notify me that I have to pay them to collect my winnings, and I don't look for "something for nothing" or use "contractors" who just show up at the door, offering to do work I don't think I need.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam?

Message 39 of 39 (1,729 Views)

Identity theft is one of the most pervasive crimes in the world, but it’s also one of the easiest to protect against. Check out the first in a series of videos featuring AARP Fraud Watch Network expert Frank Abagnale showcasing 10 easy steps to help beat identity thieves.

Have you been scammed or have you spotted a scam? Share your story on AARP’s interactive Scam-tracking Map. You can also visit the map to read up on law enforcement alerts about scams and fraud in your area.