Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Gift card scam

Message 1 of 2

".....So beware if you are buying a gift card , make sure you watch the cashier very carefully and you get the card that was scanned.....".

You don't have to watch 'very carefully'. As soon as you get the card, have them run it and verify the amount on the card. Or go to the customer service in the store and have them verify the amount.

You can file a police report, but they can't do anything. Cards are cash. You can prove you purchased the card, but (unless I'm mistaked) cannot prove that the card you have is the card you purchased. It could be you that stole a blank card, as far as anyone is concerned. 

This is not a 'scam'. It's theft, but you really can't prove it.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Contributor
Kudos
Views
Replies

Gift card scam

Message 2 of 2

A couple of months ago, I bought my coworker a Dunkin Donuts gift card from the local Shop Rite supermarket in Delran, NJ.  When she went to make a purchase at DD, the man behind the counter told her that the card was blank, not activated and had a zero balance.  She gave the card back to me and I went back  to the customer service at Shoprite with my receipt for the gift card.  They essentially told me there was nothing they could do and walked away from me.  I went home and found the website for Shoprite and sent them an email stating my problem, sent pics of my receipt and gift card and my belief that I was scammed by the cashier who scanned/activated the DD gift card so it showed up on my receipt, but in fact gave me a blank one and kept the activated one.  I am still waiting on a reply from Shoprite.  I feel that if they dont compensate me or issue another gift card, I will have no other choice but to go to the local police station and file a police report. 

Right now, its not about the money anymore. 

So beware if you are buying a gift card , make sure you watch the cashier very carefully and you get the card that was scanned.,

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies