Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Re: Get your fraud and scam questions answered

Message 11 of 35

@johnm281272 Yes, totally a scam. I've received about 5 this week on my cell phone alone. I have an app on my phone that warns me when a call comes in, to the legitimacy of the call. These calls all alerted me with a "scam or fraud" warning, so I didn't answer. They did leave a robo-call message threatening my arrest. The IRS does not operate this way. Glad you knew the red flags and were not a victim. Amy. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 35

Hi, I got a call ten minutes ago telling me, I was supposed call back my number to the IRS or being arrested for tax evasion. The phone number I was to call back is 272-506-8780. But of course, I haven't called back and I'm not. I believe this is a scam. I have got three of them so far.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 35

I have a very serious concern on Hearing Aids.

as a wearer since I lost most of the Hearing at 15 due to illness I am truly appalled at the continued prices that Hearing Aid providers are charging for these devices.

i Know Congress passed a law for OTC devices, but since so many Insurance companies are paying $3000 there has been an explosion of the elderly being charged the $3000, plus another $3000 most can ill afford.

AARP needs to publicize just what is happening.

thank you.

MaryAnne Helton

[Address has been removed to protect your privacy.]

Kudos
Views
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 35

@valnjoku, that is a great way to avoid the telemarketers and scam phone calls. Thanks for sharing the tip for the community to learn from.

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 35

Hello @annamariej811588, thank you for posting to our special event. 

While AARP does not provide legal advice on individual cases or disputes, we can provide referrals.

Your post does not specify the area in California in which you reside.  However, you can search providers of free legal aid in your area through Legal Services Corporation.  LSC was established by Congress in 1974 and promotes equal access to justice by funding high-quality civil legal assistance for low-income Americans. LSC is the single largest funder of civil legal aid for those in need in the country.  You can search for legal aid in your area by visiting LSC at: https://www.lsc.gov/what-legal-aid/find-legal-aid/.

If you feel your case is related to your disability, Disability Rights California may be able to assist you.  You can find them online at: https://www.disabilityrightsca.org/contact/ or you can contact them by calling: 1-800-776-5746.

AARP Fraud Watch Network also can provide information and resources that may help your situation. The toll free number is 1-877-908-3360. 

We hope this information is helpful and thank you for reaching out to AARP.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 35
I have a smart phone with screening ability. In my settings it is called 'Do not Disturb'. I started using it because I work overnight and sleep days. I select the people I want to be able to reach me and no other calls ring through. I figure that if it is important a message will be left. For emergencies, if a number calls twice in 15 minutes, the 2nd call rings. This has been great for me because I usually show 10 to 20 "missed" calls a day. They may have missed me but I haven't missed dealing with them.
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 35

I am a 64 yearold, disabled woman that has been cheated out of my land/home valued at $525,000. by the local authorities/attorneys and am now facing homelessness.  Title 18 U.S.C. 242 applies here 7 CA Civil code 2224.5 says the state Attorney General can prosecute this case.   Can I get some solid help from    AARP on this?  The law says I should have my home back.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 35

@lipintm, if they spend enough, the CC company will likely extract it from them (you).  You make sure it comes out of her share!  Only the most foolish are buying new cars, taking trips and going on early retirement until after the dust settles.  Spend a good amount of time finding a top lawyer.  Fools and their money are easily parted. Don't let her piss away YOUR MONEY!  People like that make carelss mistakes.  Jusy make sure you don't make any mistakes.

The type of account was a TOD account.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 35

@lipintm, that is why you can lose your shirt buy doing stupid things.  What was done is legal and smart but not eithical.  You need to know what is what long before the person dies.  My wife's uncle died a year ago and she is still using one of his cards.  She only uses it for estate costs.  Of course she paid for the memorial service from the estate.  You don't have to pay inheritance tax on those expenses. 

My wife did ignore my advice for getting an estate attorney who is expert on our state's inhertance laws. Her girl friend told her the guy I suggested charges too much since then she has relaized that friend is penny wise and pound foolish. Her friend lost half her fortune trying to save a few bucks.  The estate will loose over half to different taxes.  Over a half million lost to save $5,000 what a joke!

Anyhing in life that can lose you money needs to be carefully figured out.  There is no law that says you have to notify your CC company of a death.  If it is connected to a bank account you may have to.  Then you needed to have is set up in a joint account with the executor of the estate.  If the person is not the spouse the type of account needs to be a special one where after death the other account holder has rights like a spouse. It is yours tax free. If your bank doen't have that type of account move the money to one that does. Often when you go to withdraw they get a burst of genious and can help you do what you need to do.  That is what you can use to pay estate expensise or just keep since that money is free and clear. My wife uses that accouunt but moves money in to pay for eastate expenses. You need to take care that it is exactly the right type of account.  Otherwise you will be screwed! 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 35

@paulk915226, what do you want to happen?

You do know the caller ID is just a data spot just like the 'From' in an email. You can put any value in there if you know how.

Since there is no way to track these hackers down and no way to block them because they don't know the number they will use, you are the only one that can make a difference.  You should never answer a phone # you don't know.  Let them leave a message and call back who you want to call back. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors