Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Fortunately some scanners are idiots!

Fortunately some scanners are idiots!

This happened to me a few years ago but I still think it's funny.

One day, at around 1:15pm I received a call from a man with a strong accent who advised me that he was "Robert from Tech Support."  He went on to tell me I had viruses on my computer.  I wasn't in the mood so I said a few choice words and hung up.  That same day, at around 3:15pm Robert called back with the same spiel. (I couldn't believe it.) This time I decided to play along.  When he told me I had viruses on my computer I asked how he knew.  He told me he knew because he was "from Tech Support." Okay... So I asked him how the fact that I had viruses had been communicated to him.  He reiterated that he was from Tech Support. (At this point I was certain I knew more about computers than he.)  So I asked again but this time gave him a hint by asking if he had been notified by my "ISP."  His response was "ISP?"  I then advised him that ISP stood for "internet service provider, " that I knew he was trying to scam me and to stop calling.  I hung up.  That same day at 7:30pm my phone rang.  When I answered I heard that hollow sound you hear when someone is calling from somewhere like a call center.  The caller hesitated for a few moments and then hung up.  I can't say for sure but I'd be willing to bet that it was Robert, that he recognized my voice and chose not to be on the receiving end of another barrage of my admittedly colorful vocabulary.

Conversationalist

Rebecca
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

LOL@  nICOLE.  You just reinforced my point about scammers and 1 country. Compuer apps and reverbs can alter a voice to that way of thinking. just like spoofing on caller id there is no way of kjnowing where these people live. America is a a melting pot of people and to say 1 country is  responsible is ludacriss.     I saw my share of scammers arrested and they were all in the states

Honored Social Butterfly

Almost all the scam calls come from one country, perpetrated by people all with the same accent. I ask where they are calling from, and when they say Dallas, I'll ask what city is close to Dallas, they hang up..... if they say Orlando, I'll ask what Interstate Highway leads to Orlando, they hang up......if they say Atlanta, I'll ask what is the most well known street in the middle of Atlanta, they hang up.

They are not rocket scientist.

By the way, check your spelling in your title.

I hope your subject was scaMMers, not scaNNers.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

i have to disagree with your 1 country  places these calls. there are just as many of these crooks in the US as there are anywhere. I know working with law enforcement for 40 years many arrests are made within our borders. The person you could be talking to MAY LIVE

ACROSS THE  STREET OR ANY CITY BIG OR SMALL HERE IN AMERICA. 

Trusted Contributor

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@zapatero,

You have hit the nail on the head. My experience with scammers re-enforces the subject matter of your comment.

There is a commenter on this thread that insists that most scams emanating from call centers are from domestic call centers and I believe that commenter to be absolutely incorrect.

These IRS and Social Security impersonator scams still run rampant and, based on multiple indictments, are perpetrated from call centers in the country noted in your posting.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Travis55Chevy,

I know my experience with scammers and that is what I am expressing in my posts.

I am not sure why you are misreading my posts.

Nowhere do I state that all scam calls are made from one country but the majority of the ones I receive are. I can hear them sometimes(before they realize they are connected to me) speaking in their primary language before they switch to English. Anything geographical throws them for a loop.

By the way, what is your background in law enforcement? I worked years and years for a government agency that people tried to defraud regularly. Spotting fraud and its source was part of the job.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

I like the fact that you are concerned enough to try and make readers aware of your experience. you seem to have a great following so your words are getting out. my chiel complaint is that one could assume that only criminals with accents are scammers. there are many more with no accents that play these hoaxes on unsuspecting people and thats what im trying to get out. its nothing personel just trying to inform everyone of other outlets these people use. i was  with  internet crimes and these criminal just make me angry. as  you know computers can do allot of things they can play music to match any region, they can change phone numbers to think your talking to `someone else they can even allow peoples accents to make one think that your talking to to a foreign country. when these people call you they  know who you are  after all they contacted you and allot of times your info was received off the dark web or from other scammers that sold it to them off a list.   that is why i say dont play with them when you play cards with the devil your bound to lose

Honored Social Butterfly

@Travis55Chevy wrote:

i was  with  internet crimes and these criminal just make me angry.

It is intriguing that you worked with internet crimes.

It would be helpful in understanding your point of view to know what law enforcement agency you worked for when you worked with internet crimes.

Your point that computers can do many things in the commission of criminal activity is well taken but again, to understand your knowledge of such things, it again, would be helpful to know at what law enforcement agency you gained your experience.

For scammers to have knowledge about someone, it is not necessary to have gotten it from a list or from the dark web. One can check many, many resources rather easily, such as real estate property tax public information, white pages, yellow pages, and a multitude of other sources to get information.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Anonymous wrote:

➡️Oh yes!!! @Travis55Chevy ⬅️

@Travis55Chevy wrote:

there are just as many of these crooks in the US as there are anywhere.

That is untrue, @Travis55Chevy and @Anonymous.

There are over 1.4 BILLION people in the country I have designated as the home to these phone scammers while the population of the United States is but a little over 330 MILLION.

By virtue of the other country having over FOUR TIMES the population of the United States, your statement that there are as many of these crooks in the United States as is in this other country is statistically invalid.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP