Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Federal Student Loan Scam

Message 1 of 2

It's been said so many times before. Don't answer the phone unless you know the number. Let them leave you a message. You can go online to check the phone number to see if others have reported a scam. It's so easy to stay out of trouble if you know that business is not done over the phone unless you have initiated it.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Federal Student Loan Scam

Message 2 of 2

Just this morning, on the CBS This Morning news show, this scam for federal student loans was discussed.  The scam is where you will receive a phone call about paying federal student loans.  Even before the TV broadcast, I have received these phony phone calls for several weeks now.

What I aim to do, is to keep these jerks on the phone as long as I can.  My logic is, if I can keep them busy and talking with me, then another senior that may have difficulties realizing a scam would not receive a call from the jerk on the phone with me.  Yes, I know they have hundreds of low-life employees and auto-dialers, but if I can tie up 1 phone line and 1 low-life scammer, it is worth every minute of delay.

If other young seniors repeat this same process, maybe we could tie up additional phone lines and keep these jerks busy with seniors fully aware of the scam.

Some examples for a script that I use when talking to them is to appear much older and concerned about the loan.  Then have a 2nd simultaneous conversation with an imaginary person in your home.  This could be about stopping at the local Piggly Wiggly for some smokes, milk or anything.  Then continue to talk to the scammer about anything to eat up time.  

Wish we could isolate the source of these scams easily and have them arrested them on the spot.   Maybe with a few more advancements in technology.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors