Honored Social Butterfly

Do you have a phone listing you don't know about?

Recently, our fraud detection service alerted us to check certain information found on the internet. One of those was info in White Pages. I was astonished to find not only our correct listing, but an additional phone listing in another state! 

White Pages has a process for getting listings removed, but it doesn't get reported anywhere. I'm trying to find out what authorities should be notified. Does anyone know? Has anyone else had this problem? 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"....I'm trying to find out what authorities should be notified. Does anyone know? Has anyone else had this problem?....".

I'm not sure what you're asking. White Pages gets it's data through online inquiry software. It's gathering data just like the social media apps, Facebook being the largest data mining software in the world. There is nothing illegal about doing this (I don't like it, so I don't use any social media). Having said that, my info is out there too. As has been stated so many times. If you're online, there is no security and no privacy ----- period.

From their website:

"....  We ingest and vet billions of records a month from a variety of sources at rate of over 770 events per second, allowing us to curate over one million global linkages per day. The Identity Graph™ gives our users access to the most accurate and robust identity information globally.....".

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The problem I have is that someone has taken out a phone number in another state, using our names and real address. If I query my name in White Pages, I get my legitimate info as well as the illegitimate number which happens to be in Washington state. We live in Texas.

Taking out a phone number, using another person's name and address, amounts to fraud. I would think that there would be some authority where fraudulent phone numbers could be reported. White Pages will remove them if you jump through enough hoops, but they do not report anything, and it doesn't keep the person who has the fraudulent number from using it for whatever their purposes.

I do not use social media at all for the very reasons you stated. However, names, addresses, and phone numbers are all available from many public sources, and easily data mined, especially by marketing companies. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

"....If I query my name in White Pages, I get my legitimate info as well as the illegitimate number which happens to be in Washington state....".

Hmmm. No idea how to handle that. Interesting situation. I'm so aware of scams/fraud/hacking, but this is a new one to me.  

FTC?????

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos