Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Deceptive Request for AARP Membership Renewal

Message 1 of 15

I too, have been receiving these annoying requests to renew. I have received at least 3 this year. My membership is set to renew in March of 2019.  They do not make the actual renewal date stand out. Yes. it is on the most recent card that I received, but I can see how I could have paid this a year to soon!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

Apology not accepted. This practice is outrageousw. Apparently this isn't working because I have had 2 reminders to renew since Feb. 2018. My mother also responds any time she gets AARP mail or email and pays every time, which she cannot afford.  I feel like AARP is taking advantage of seniors, one of the most vulnerable populations. I agree, these are very deceptive and misleading. I don't trust AARP anymore, sadly.  Pam M

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

@ms67795507wrote:

Well, lets (sic) see, you're assuming that your "lifetime membership" of $100.00 in an orginization (sic) that is not what they say they are is worth the money, but it really isn't. The fact is, you can get the discounts they offer and more via many different credit cards, AAA, by being a senior, by being a member of various groups, that do not require a fee, etc.

@ms67795507 The value is individual, as you have pointed out. I feel I have made the best choice, and it appears so feel you have as well.

A point about "many different credit cards", if I might: the habit of the financially strong, as I have read on this site and on others, is to hold very few credit cards rather than many. FWIW and all.

Go in peace.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

Well, lets see, you're assuming that your "lifetime membership" of $100.00 in an orginization that is not what they say they are is worth the money, but it really isn't. The fact is, you can get the discounts they offer and more via many different credit cards, AAA, by being a senior, by being a member of various groups, that do not require a fee, etc.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

@ms67795507wrote:

With all do (sic) respect, in my personal opinion, anyone with a lifetime membership in ANY orginization (sic) with a political agenda (and don't kid yourself into believing there is none here, or that the agenda exists for the benefit of SENIORS) is not thinking. My eyes are wide open here. Are yours?

Hi @ms67795507  Well, let's see. Six years ago I paid $200 for a lifetime membership that includes DH. In another 6.5 years, assuming membership rates remain $16 per year, I will have broken even. If, on the other hand, you pay for an individual annual membership for 13 years in your lifetime, you will have given AARP $8 dollars more than me. And you would have been hounded by surface mail renewal notices, which you probably will toss in either the trash or the recycling bin, but either way you have to dispose of the unwanted mail. Me? Not so much. In addition, consider this: my life expectancy is another 40 years, which, if realized will bring my membership cost down to $4.34 a year.  

Yes, AARP has a political agenda. No, I don't generally agree with their political stances. But I do get a heads up on their thinking, so I then counter their talking points one by one in my communications to my elected officials. So there's that unlisted membership benefit. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

With all do respect, in my personal opinion, anyone with a lifetime membership in ANY orginization with a political agenda (and don't kid yourself into believing there is none here, or that the agenda exists for the benefit of SENIORS) is not thinking. My eyes are wide open here. Are yours?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

@ms67795507wrote:
Hey Epster, I have an idea for you. Why don't you get lifetime memberships to everything? This way, you don't ever have to think about anything.

@ms67795507  This would work, I suppose, if I were a joiner, but I'm not. Aside from AARP, a local birding group (that has no membership fee) and a hiking club, my only memberships are via DNA. (Scots-Viking heritage, left-handed-ness, A-type personality, hair color, athlete ....)

Not thinking, however, is definitely not my thing. 

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15
Hey Epster, I have an idea for you. Why don't you get lifetime memberships to everything? This way, you don't ever have to think about anything.
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

I too am very dissapointed with AARPs practice of soliciting seniors who's membership is in force or paid. This is a very bad, unfair, and deceiving practice. SHAME ON AARP! Its NOT an innocent mistake, I have brought it to their attention before and sad to say, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15
Oh, please...
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors