Contributor

Deceptive Request for AARP Membership Renewal

Hello,

I am very disappointed in a letter I received from AARP warning me that I needed to renew my membership because "Your current AARP membership will expire soon, unless you renew it now."

Has anyone else been bothered with this deceptive practice? 

I wanted to share the complaint letter I just sent to AARP headquarters. 

Here's my reply:

On Feb 16, 2018, I received your mailing prompting me to renew because "Your current AARP membership will expire soon, unless you renew it now."

I am very disappointed and angered by this apparent predatory solicitation for AARP renewal.

Because I have set up a recurring bank payment for AARP renewal, I know my AARP membership is good through June 1, 2018.

To aggressively solicit renewal almost 6 months in advance is preying upon the elderly you claim to represent.  Why doesn't your solicitation indicate the true due date for renewal???

Unless someone looked up their past membership payment, they could easily pay multiple times per year, assuming that AARP would contact them for renewal only when it was truly due.

Up til now, I felt confident that AARP looked out for the interests of its members. But I find this practice highly deceptive and it makes me suspect that AARP is not a brand to be trusted.

I too, have been receiving these annoying requests to renew. I have received at least 3 this year. My membership is set to renew in March of 2019.  They do not make the actual renewal date stand out. Yes. it is on the most recent card that I received, but I can see how I could have paid this a year to soon!

Regular Contributor

Well, lets see, you're assuming that your "lifetime membership" of $100.00 in an orginization that is not what they say they are is worth the money, but it really isn't. The fact is, you can get the discounts they offer and more via many different credit cards, AAA, by being a senior, by being a member of various groups, that do not require a fee, etc.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ms67795507wrote:

Well, lets (sic) see, you're assuming that your "lifetime membership" of $100.00 in an orginization (sic) that is not what they say they are is worth the money, but it really isn't. The fact is, you can get the discounts they offer and more via many different credit cards, AAA, by being a senior, by being a member of various groups, that do not require a fee, etc.

@ms67795507 The value is individual, as you have pointed out. I feel I have made the best choice, and it appears so feel you have as well.

A point about "many different credit cards", if I might: the habit of the financially strong, as I have read on this site and on others, is to hold very few credit cards rather than many. FWIW and all.

Go in peace.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Contributor

My (5-year) was not due until 2021, but that didn't stop AARP from soliciting...was eventually renewed for another 5 years, in 2017. Keep receiving solicitations for membership that is NOT DUE. Have now requested a refund and have been told that the check is in the mail. We'll see...Very concerned about their practice, which feels like senior abuse at this point
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JB536233 

First let us apologize for any frustration you are experiencing.  AARP has become aware that some mailings inadvertently had this included error.  We have verified your auto renew will not auto renew until June as you have confirmed.  If you would like to discuss this with someone directly, please call our membership number at 1-888-687-2277 and they can provide additional information for you.

AARPTeri

AARPTeri
Contributor

Apology not accepted. This practice is outrageousw. Apparently this isn't working because I have had 2 reminders to renew since Feb. 2018. My mother also responds any time she gets AARP mail or email and pays every time, which she cannot afford.  I feel like AARP is taking advantage of seniors, one of the most vulnerable populations. I agree, these are very deceptive and misleading. I don't trust AARP anymore, sadly.  Pam M

Regular Contributor

Oh, please...
Honored Social Butterfly

Hi @JB536233 Nicely stated.

You are certainly not alone in feeling this way: people come on here regularly to voice such reactions to the AARP membership renewal mailing protocol.

Me, I hate junk mail enough to not only register on all the opt-out services, but, as I'm in my 50s, I took the step of getting a lifetime membership from AARP. Now most everything that comes from them ends up in our recycle bin unopened. 🙂

This being said, I'm sure AARP is not trying to annoy members. I'm sure their mailing protocol has much more to do with the numbers such as 'it requires an average of X number of reminders to get a paid renewal'. 

Last I knew the actual statistics, only 10% of recipients responded to direct marketing (mailings). Still, with all that waste, it is considered a far more cost effective form of advertising than magazine, TV and radio advertising. But take heart: new statistics show that the most effective advertising is now social media memes and videos. So in time AARP will start leaving our mailboxes alone. Yay! 🙂

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Regular Contributor

Hey Epster, I have an idea for you. Why don't you get lifetime memberships to everything? This way, you don't ever have to think about anything.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ms67795507wrote:
Hey Epster, I have an idea for you. Why don't you get lifetime memberships to everything? This way, you don't ever have to think about anything.

@ms67795507  This would work, I suppose, if I were a joiner, but I'm not. Aside from AARP, a local birding group (that has no membership fee) and a hiking club, my only memberships are via DNA. (Scots-Viking heritage, left-handed-ness, A-type personality, hair color, athlete ....)

Not thinking, however, is definitely not my thing. 

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

With all do respect, in my personal opinion, anyone with a lifetime membership in ANY orginization with a political agenda (and don't kid yourself into believing there is none here, or that the agenda exists for the benefit of SENIORS) is not thinking. My eyes are wide open here. Are yours?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ms67795507wrote:

With all do (sic) respect, in my personal opinion, anyone with a lifetime membership in ANY orginization (sic) with a political agenda (and don't kid yourself into believing there is none here, or that the agenda exists for the benefit of SENIORS) is not thinking. My eyes are wide open here. Are yours?

Hi @ms67795507  Well, let's see. Six years ago I paid $200 for a lifetime membership that includes DH. In another 6.5 years, assuming membership rates remain $16 per year, I will have broken even. If, on the other hand, you pay for an individual annual membership for 13 years in your lifetime, you will have given AARP $8 dollars more than me. And you would have been hounded by surface mail renewal notices, which you probably will toss in either the trash or the recycling bin, but either way you have to dispose of the unwanted mail. Me? Not so much. In addition, consider this: my life expectancy is another 40 years, which, if realized will bring my membership cost down to $4.34 a year.  

Yes, AARP has a political agenda. No, I don't generally agree with their political stances. But I do get a heads up on their thinking, so I then counter their talking points one by one in my communications to my elected officials. So there's that unlisted membership benefit. 🙂

Regular Contributor

I too am very dissapointed with AARPs practice of soliciting seniors who's membership is in force or paid. This is a very bad, unfair, and deceiving practice. SHAME ON AARP! Its NOT an innocent mistake, I have brought it to their attention before and sad to say, NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE!

Regular Contributor

In my opinion, its to AARPs advantage to send out all the inappropriate mailings to EVERYONE, even those that are "Life Members". It may cost them too much to separate Life Members from others, but just think, if someone's membership does not expire until 2021, why solicit to them? Because AARP can make a lot of money they are NOT entitled to, thats why. Very anti-senior and abusive.