Rethink your job search and find opportunities for experienced workers with the AARP job board.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Consumer Cellular Data

Message 1 of 1

I have a problem and a suggested solution. [Phone number removed from public view to protect your online identity]. We are on the unlimited with 20 GB of Data. Our billing period runs the ninth of the month through the eighth of the next month. This last month(Nov - Dec), we received a notice that we had exceeded our 20 GB on 12/7 and our speed was being decreased. I immediately checked our usage on your web sight and it showed around 18.8 GB used. I call customer service and they verified the amount as being 19.1 GB used. The next day I called customer service again as it was still slow. I again checked our account on line and now it showed around 18.2 GB used It actually was less that the day before??). This with virtually one day left till our account reset. I called customer service again and I spent a good 20 to 30 minutes trying to explain the situation. I ended up asking to speak to a supervisor. She spent the next 10 minutes trying to get one and finally said one would call me within 2 hours. A gentleman called about 45 minutes later. The result was he explained it was all computer run and generated and they have to account for data usage which may come in later.

Here is what I feel is the problem. I have a 20 GB plan. With a day and a half left and almost 2 GB remaining, our speed was slowed. The supervisor on the eighth said that the speed is slowed down at 18 GB no mater the date or time to allow for any data to come in from non AT&T towers. Our total usage on my bill statement ended up being just a bit over 18.5 GB. The result for me is slowed speed for a day and a half and 1.5 GB of data unused. I assumed the $40 for 20 GB of data means I'm paying for all 20 GB. If I am close as with this last month every month, I don't see how I will ever use all 20 GB and will have to suffer with slow speed for 1 to ? days each month.

Suggested Solution - My example is an example of what can happen with the existing policy. From what I gather, the policy is up to 26 GB allowed max per month ( $40 first 20, then $5 for each afterwards, and shut off at 26. If this is the case, may I suggest full speed up to 20 GB recorded usage on the account and then slow the speed. Any further usage and pending usage would fall into the $5 per GB category.

What I would like to see is my being able to agree to have full speed up to 23 or 24 GB then slow the speed to 26 GB and shut off at 26. Unless you are loosing money at $5 per GB it only means more income for you if customers go over the 20 GB. You could still make the current set up available to customers that want that type of control.

Thanks for your time.

Brian D. Parker (retired)

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!