Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: BANK and INSURANCE FRAUD

Message 1 of 2

The US Treasury Office of the Comptroller of the Currency makes the rules to protect us from unauthorized automatic withdrawals but the account holder has to follow certain procedures with their bank to stop them and reduce their own liability in the matter.

Personally, I would make sure that this information is supplied to them in writing, perhaps even signed for by a banking representative, in order to be protected from any liability and retrieve the funds taken in error - either by mistake or fraud.

We have to protect ourselves and that means following government rules that have been put in place to help remedy the situation with a bank.  There are government rules on both the customer and the bank.  There are government rules for each area of financial dealings - we need to know them to protect ourselves - or at least know where to find them if the need arises.

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency - Help With My Bank - Automatic Withdrawals

Immediately notify the bank. Identify by date and dollar amount the transactions that you did not authorize. The bank will review your claim. The bank may ask you to complete an affidavit of unauthorized use.

You must report any unauthorized electronic transaction that appears on your account statement within 60 calendar days of the bank's transmission of the statement in order to avoid liability for any subsequent transfers. Therefore, it is important to review your account statement upon receipt.

If the charges have been ongoing for eight months, the bank can take into consideration when the first disputed transaction posted to the account, and when the bank sent you the periodic statement reflecting that first transaction. If the same merchant has been billing you for eight months, and you failed to notify the bank in a timely manner, you, as the account holder, may be liable for some of the transactions.

There are three possible tiers of consumer liability for unauthorized electronic fund transfers depending on the situation. A consumer may be liable for up to $50, up to $500, or an unlimited amount depending on when the unauthorized electronic fund transfer occurred.

The timing of your notice to the bank is critical. To avoid liability for subsequent transfers, you must report to the bank any unauthorized electronic transaction that appears on your checking account statement within 60 calendar days of the bank's transmittal of the statement. The bank may hold you liable for any transactions that occurred more than 60 days after the statement was transmitted and before you notified the bank.

This CFPB does describe the process too and how it should be handled -

CFPB - You have protections when it comes to automatic debit payments from your account

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

BANK and INSURANCE FRAUD

Message 2 of 2

January 2017, I found on my PNC Bank checking account statements that PNC Bank was executing large direct transfer payments from my checking account to Blue Cross Blue Shield BCBS. I have never done online banking and never authorized any direct transfers. 1. PNC Bank refused to stop the transfers, and my repeated requests for a copy of whatever document they were using to make these unauthorized-by-me wire transfers, which they refused to provide me. PNC Bank also refused to stop transferring money from my bank account to BCBS, until I threatened in October 2017 to contact the FBI. 2. I contacted the U.S. consumer Financial Protection Bureau, twice, both times different employees abruptly saying they don't help with this kind of financial issue. Even after I explained this IS a 'consumer financial protection' issue.  3. BCBS customer service refused my repeated requests to connect me with BCBS accounting or any manager to stop their unauthorized taking my money. In December 2017 they finally ceased the wrongful taking of my money by direct transfers to BCBS. 4. Once I was able to pressure PNC Bank to stop the unauthorized taking of my money, I then contacted my employing federal agency and they provided me the documentation proving they had been paying my health insurance premiums in full to BCBS continuously by payroll deduction for more than ten years. 5. Then because I recently retired from Civil Service, and Office of Personnel Management OPM handle all retired Federal employees, I contacted OPM and they provided me the documentation proving they have continuously and are continuing to paying my health insurance premiums in full to BCBS as a deduction from my retirement pay. 6. After my repeated telephone calls to BCBS in 2017 and 2018 to the only contact number BCBS had ever given me, and their continued refusals to provide me anyone in BCBS to assist me, nor any BCBS emails to reach out to, I searched again online in January for any way to penetrate BCBS to get them to return to me the over $5000 of my money wrongful taken by BCBS from my PNC bank account. My online search found a BCBS Fraud email address. I wrote to them asking for their resolution of the matter by return of my monies, and I copied them on subsequent emails about this issue that I was sending to my federal agency, OPM, PNC Bank, and my US Congressperson. 7. In March 2018, BCBS responded only once, saying their only purpose was for protecting BCBS when others try to fraud them, even though I again asked BCBS who in BCBS that I needed to work with for the return of my monies. 8. In April 2018, a BCBS health services payment to a provider issue arose, and the BCBS lady that called me got an unexpected earful of my issue with BCBS of their wrongfully taking my money, along with my sincere and exasperated threat to try to bring the FBI into the matter of monies BCBS had wrongfully taken. She made the comment that it seemed wrong that PNC Bank would have allowed the wrongful taking of monies from my PNC bank account, I agreed, and then she transferred me to a BCBS fraud agent in Albuquerque, NM, who said he would look into the matter.
9. In Early May 2018, the BCBS fraud investigator followed up with me to say they have reached out to the FBI for assistance. The issue is unresolved and ongoing as of late April 2018 ... 10. SUMMARY to date ; most folks would not know any way to get help through these roadblocks except to hire a lawyer that would cost them more than they have already lost.WHY wouldn't the federal Consumer Protection Bureau help me? WHAT are my taxes paying for the Consumer Protection Bureau to do if not help me as a consumer, with complete documented proof of the issue ? WHO holds a health insurance provider accountable when BCBS fraudulently takes money from personal checking accounts ? WHO holds banks accountable when a PNC Bank allowed unauthorized fraudulent taking of monies from personal checking accounts ? WHERE do taxpayer US citizens go for help ?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements
Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!
Top Authors