Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Ask The Expert: Get your questions about fraud answered

Message 11 of 63

I have calls from Guam.  Do you have any suggestions, Amy?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 63

@Arubafan  I wish there was a magic bullet to handle the calls, you are just hanging up and that's great. I think the most important thing is to never engage, and you are not engaging by hanging up on them, so if it works for you, keep doing it! I prefer to let them go to voicemail and then just delete so they never get a pick up, but as again, not engaging with them is the most important thing.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 63

@MARKR900I use it on my home phone and it really has cut down my calls as well. Thanks for sharing the tip with the group.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 63

@edjaScam, scam, scam. As you are aware, this is the most popular government impostor scam happening right now. The SSA will never suspend your SSN and certainly won't ever call you and threaten arrests unless you pay with pre-paid gift cards.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
AARP Expert
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 63

@DonnaS687331Exactly! Great tips to check the url/email where it's coming from, plus the SSA will never call you unsolicited, they will send something in the mail first. Great fraud fighting tips!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 63

let it go to Voice Mail/Answering maching.  If it is a legit. call they will leave a ph. # and message.  Washington, DC area code is 202 - (I retired from Fed gov. in DC).  Northern Virginia (DC suburbs is 703) .  MD suburbs are 301.  They have added some new area codes, but govt. agencies will probably have those above.  Most of Fed. govt is in DC (202).  NIH is in MD.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 63

I know when a call or email suposidly from Social Security is a fraud. The phone numbrs are not a 800 number and the email is not through .gov

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 63

Call the real SS phone number. That number could be fake. I'm just a person not fraud protection but don't call a phone number just because they say it's SS. Lots of fraud out there. If it's fake they will tell you to verify your SS and then they rob it!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 63

Call received indicating my SS number has been compromised and will be suspended immediately. I should call 619 332 5263 immediately.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 63

Yes

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.